Log splitter oil heater

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
3:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have had to use my log splitter a few times when its cold out and anything colder then -10C it is hard to start.
I like the idea of the megnetic heaters and wondering how many watts i would need. 200 watts dont seem like much. I see they do go up to 500 but cant seem to find any over 200 local.

Another opting i was thinking is when i change the hudraulic oil this spring should i get a screw in block heater. Drill hole in tank and weld a nut to it.

My splitter stays outside under the deck. No heated garage lol

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
2:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Is your splitter just a standard store bought style with a rectangular tank? I’d almost want a couple smaller magnetic heaters then one larger that way you could cover more area of the tank. Also some sort of cover like a welding blanket to keep some of the heat in would help too. All that cold steel makes a great conductor of cold and would probably draw the heat out as fast as those heaters tried to warm the oil.

They do make oil heaters like a block heater, putting a fitting in for one is a good idea but keep an eye on it. They can be stout and all but cook oil if left on too long, especially lighter oil like hydraulic.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Depends on what "oil " you are talking about .Crankcase oil just use a lighter weight synthetic .Hydraulic oil use something like Dexron auto tranny fluid which doesn't have to be "top shelf "

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is your splitter just a standard store bought style with a rectangular tank? I’d almost want a couple smaller magnetic heaters then one larger that way you could cover more area of the tank. Also some sort of cover like a welding blanket to keep some of the heat in would help too. All that cold steel makes a great conductor of cold and would probably draw the heat out as fast as those heaters tried to warm the oil.

They do make oil heaters like a block heater, putting a fitting in for one is a good idea but keep an eye on it. They can be stout and all but cook oil if left on too long, especially lighter oil like hydraulic.
Yes mine is a store baught champion. Never thought of block heater cooking the oil. Good point.

I woukdnt leave it plugged in all the time. I had in mind 2 or 3 hours befor using just to try and make the oil little liter

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
2:38 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old drop light with a 60w bulb will keep it just right. Or a element from a heated livestock water bucket.

Both are very inexpensive and easy to come by. And neither one will cook your oil..

Steven