High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Locking down thread repairs

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
It has been quite a while since I've had a head spark plug insert come out. A new to me jug had one back up on me.
Looks like no sealer or the wrong type was used. Most times the red till dead 318 is my go to.
Just wondering what you might be using these days for a permanent repair on inserts?

That said... in the past brass or solder on low temp stuff was always a permanent repair imo. With the modern glues and sealers maybe I've missed something much easier? Idk...

Thoughts
Suggestions besides welding tia

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:31 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was wondering a week ago if they make a permanent thread locker with a chemical that literally welds the metal together over time.

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Loctite makes a flange sealant that is crazy in it’s ability to bond. I’ll have to get the number. It looks like green slime. It is temperature sensitive when stored, can’t get too cold or hot. In the presence of oxygen it’ll stay fluid. Put it in threads or between flanges and you have 15-20 minutes to get things buttoned up.

To give you an idea of how stout this stuff is....the IMT drill rigs use a power shift gearbox to drive the rotary. It’s really just a double stack planetary with a hydraulic apply spring release speeed selector. Made up of 6 sections that all bolt together on studs. No seals or o-rings between sections just machined surfaces and the green loctite snot. You can remove the 12 nuts holding the stack together and that loctite will hold against 600-700 pounds of spring pressure.

Get your checkbook out if/when you buy it.....it’s spendy.

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can find green loctite it is almost permanent. Used to hold steel sleeves in cylinders
Loctite 609 is great as a retaining compound, but it is only good for up to 300 degrees F. If high temp red loctite isn't good enough, then you're looking at welding.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Loctite 609 is great as a retaining compound, but it is only good for up to 300 degrees F. If high temp red loctite isn't good enough, then you're looking at welding.
Welding lol.
Were just getting started here.
Plenty more tricks up my sleeve like pins. The thread is just fine on my head. The black cooked goo surely was not any decent high temp sealer. This looks like a cooked black rtv but rtv don't cook. Maybe it was installed dry idk and caked up wit chit.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Loctite makes a flange sealant that is crazy in it’s ability to bond. I’ll have to get the number. It looks like green slime. It is temperature sensitive when stored, can’t get too cold or hot. In the presence of oxygen it’ll stay fluid. Put it in threads or between flanges and you have 15-20 minutes to get things buttoned up.

To give you an idea of how stout this stuff is....the IMT drill rigs use a power shift gearbox to drive the rotary. It’s really just a double stack planetary with a hydraulic apply spring release speeed selector. Made up of 6 sections that all bolt together on studs. No seals or o-rings between sections just machined surfaces and the green loctite snot. You can remove the 12 nuts holding the stack together and that loctite will hold against 600-700 pounds of spring pressure.

Grab me a part number please.
My checkbook is waiting

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't remember exactly what the numbers are on the red Loctite .I 've got a scad load of them I acquired over the years though .Some of it takes about 400 degrees to release it. I mean 29 years in an auto engine plant you can get a lot of stuff dumpster diving .Fact I've got one type of red in half gallon plastic containers in my shop .Tubes of Loctite 5900 RTV but if you crack a tube you can't keep in usable very long .Now exactly where in those 29 tool boxes that stuff is I have no idea .I'll find it if I need it .

ucm931

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

Question is......what temps is the green rated for once cured?

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Question is......what temps is the green rated for once cured?
Good question.
My reading indicates in the states these guys and gals now days :), are still using Red 518 gasket maker on OMC, Rudes, Porsche and other cases so... just like always.

518 gasket maker without primer is my go to gasket delete for metal to metal contact or contact no more I should say. Prep is key. Primer won't make any difference in a threaded hole imo. They use that to activate the bond faster for vac testing or low pressure. Coat both sides in most thick applications. Also allows a wider gap like 0.040 vs 0.015 without primer activator. Under 0.005 is my use most times up to 300 degrees Fahrenheit. I'm keeping the saw so it should be fine Steve... like old times :)

Junkyard

Can’t have too many saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Loctite 573. Temp rating depends on several factors so it’s hard to give a firm answer. In this case I would expect it to be on the higher end of the scale because it’s not holding back a volume of fluid. With a case full of oil with proper cure time it shows to be good for 300 degrees. Gasoline in pure liquid form drops its temp rating considerably.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Those are Time -Serts which are used by Roush Performance on racing engines and also by Ford Motor Company .The best made .