High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Limiter cap tool?

Jungleman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Got a brand new MS880 with a 49” bar. I hate it. It’s stupid big(completely unnecessary sized bar) and it’s stupid heavy (37.5 lbs, I weighed it!) It was bought by my work, against my advice. I said a ms660 with a 36” bar would be more than enough for the trees I had to take down. Then I could put a smaller bar on it and still use it.
I was overruled and if they want to drop 2100 on a saw then that’s what the gonna do. I can’t stop them, I’ll just laugh at them.

I got a 36” bar for it last week and I put it on but the carb needs adjusting now, sounds way too heavy. When I tried to adjust the carb nothing happened so I was wondering where I can find a tool to remove that limiter cap.

Also, full disclosure, I’m not in the business like most of the people on this forum. I’m just a farmer, not a professional arborist. When I started my latest job about 5 years ago they found out I am pretty good with a saw and started having me take down trees during the down time. As the years went by the trees I took down got bigger and I kept asking for a bigger saw. About 6 months ago I was asked to take down a 6ft ash and I was like nope. I limbed it already with my ms391 and. 25” bar, standing in the bucket of a kubota front end loader. Very safe I assure you.
All that’s left is the massive trunk and I refused to touch it unless they got me a bigger saw. Hence why I now have a massive beast at my disposal that honestly I don’t really want to use more than I have to. Most of the bigger trees are only 4 and a half footers. I would have been more than happy with a lighter saw and a 36” bar. Just looking at that 880 makes me reach for the ibuprofen.

So. Where can I get the tool to remove these carb caps?

Jungleman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A drywall screw works just fine.

Or you can go to your dealer and buy the tool, even ebay if you like.

Yea I saw some on eBay but they ship from Australia and the other was from England. Will take a long time to reach. I thought maybe someone might know where I can get one locally that can get here quicker. I’ll try the drywall screw, thanks.

jk14

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yea I saw some on eBay but they ship from Australia and the other was from England. Will take a long time to reach. I thought maybe someone might know where I can get one locally that can get here quicker. I’ll try the drywall screw, thanks.

Here's what I've been using, Stanley srew hole starter. Maybe you can find one local? Or just use a long drywall screw as was already suggested.

20200223_171137.jpg

Jungleman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Definitive Dave has them in his online store. Chainsaw Conservation Components

Thanks, I went to his website to buy one on the spot, till I read the fine print. They require proof that it’s being bought by a small engine repair shop. Not sure if it’s just legal jargon to cover his own ass, which I would totally understand.

@Definitive Dave think I can get a pass? I see you liking beagles post. It’s for a business, and I can use my company card if needed. I’ll pm you.

Jungleman

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's what I've been using, Stanley srew hole starter. Maybe you can find one local? Or just use a long drywall screw as was already suggested.

View attachment 226495

Now THATS what I am talking about! If I can’t get my hands on the stihl tool then I’ll definitely pick one of these up. Thanks.

3browns

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure it was on an @Mastermind build thread or video that I saw a plain screwdriver with a screw permanently affixed to the tip sitting on the bench or on the workbench back wall

Maybe it was brazed, maybe JB Welded

But a $2 screwdriver with 5 cent screw will certainly do the job

Last edited:

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
5:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Pretty sure it was on an @Mastermind build thread or video that I saw a plain screwdriver with a screw permanently affixed to the tip sitting on the bench or on the workbench back wall

Maybe it was brazed, maybe JB Welded

But a $2 screwdriver with 5 cent screw will certainly do the job

Brazed....

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 2.5 and 3.5 Allen is Same as limiter cap tool. Get the longest Allens you can and cut the heads off, get you some of the metal chainsaw files holders and have you a home made limiter cap puller