mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went to got get my double edge axe the other day and could not find it. So I got to buy a new one. Any suggestions on a good brand and where to get it. I had a Ochsenkopf on order but it did not ship and they don't know when it will ship . Thanks guy for any info

Likesaws

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it was me I would find a vintage axe at flea market yard sale or flea bay.
Rehang a new handle in it if needed. There are plenty on flea bay from old cheapies to great collectors. Prices are low to high. Save a old tool and the environment from making another new one. Look at show me your axes, great examples there.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
6:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you for the offer. I would love to have it BUT I must pay you something for it. Is that a 3 1/2 #? Need to find a handle for it.

Logsdendave

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I’d second the idea of finding an old vintage head and putting a new handle on.

homerrichards

New OPE Member
Local time
8:41 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Axes are so useful, especially in our place. Just a little bit curious, which is safer and more convenient to use, a single edge ax or the double edge one? Thank you!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got a double bit cruiser that's as old as I am . It's never had a file to it ,always a stone and has never been left outside in the weather .It's also one I never broke the handle on .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Axes are so useful, especially in our place. Just a little bit curious, which is safer and more convenient to use, a single edge ax or the double edge one? Thank you!
Good question .Historically a double is a felling axe and a single could be a feller or a splitter depending on the head design .I have both .If I think about it I'll snap some pictures .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here you go left to right .Splitter older than dirt hand forged .Shorter wide head heavier weight 5-51/2 pounds .Center ,general purpose longer thinner head not a great splitter .Right cruiser with the original handle .I split wood with this thing as a teenager and that was a long time ago but it's made to be a felling axe .Thinner double blades which makes it not real well as a splitter .DSCN1072[1].JPG DSCN1072[1].JPG DSCN1072[1].JPG

WI_Hedgehog

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:41 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm looking for a thin double-bit axe with straight handle similar to what I used with my dad years back and could use some leads (it looked like the one in the video). I've heard some mention of black cherry axe handles, but know little about axes other than how to use one.

Last edited: