High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

km-hl 135 drive pinion

sean silverwood

Active OPE Member
Local time
5:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
anyone changed one of these drive pinion gears or got the IPL/manual for one of these mother *f-worders.
sorry for the language guys buts it pissed me right off today :)

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah I rebuild one, what exactly do you want to know? How to get to it to remove it. I had to replace cooked bearings after a Stihl dealer told the previous owner it was 'unrepairable' so he put it on EBay for cheap & I bought & fixed it. He ran it with a missing grease cap nut until it seized up and broke bearing races. They can be a little tricky but heat is your friend to expand the mag case to get bearings out. Have you got the workshop manual?

sean silverwood

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
need to replace the pinion here(arrowed) but all the bearing have come out and its just rattling about in the races.
bloody expensive too. my suppliers want £175 GBP for the full unit.
i was hoping just to change the bearings because the splines on the drive look fine.

sean silverwood

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
this part arrowed

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 23.43.09.png
    Screen Shot 2018-02-25 at 23.43.09.png
    73.5 KB · Views: 15

RedSquirrelTreeServices

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I fixed a drive pinion on a HL135 head for a KM90 hedge trimmer and it cost me €14! That price was for two new bearings (see red highlight on exploded diagram). I bought the trimmer in 2011. It came to a stop in 2016. I opened the gear housing, stripped it down and discovered two busted bearings under the drive pinion (see red highlight on photo). I contacted Stihl and they said I would have to buy the whole unit which had the pole arm attached! €175 at the time. I was busy and needed the trimmer so I went ahead and bought it, all the while cursing Stihl for bad design and bad customer after care. Two days ago the same bearings went again!

Firstly I checked to see if I could get the same as last time; the full HL135 unit, but to my horror, it had gone up in price to €300+! WTF! So I searched around and discovered I could buy a set of pinions which would replace all three in the drive. But dang they would cost £88+ VAT and I only needed one, so I decided to try and remove the two busted bearings. Through a bit of messing around and improvising I managed to get the pinion out of it's housing. Then I got the top sprocket pulled off the shaft, leaving access for removing the bearings.

The local plant hire in Buncrana sold bearings. I took the old shells to them and got an exact match. €7 each. I went home and fitted them and fired up the trimmer and all was good.

PS. I used two 19mm open ended spanners on their edge as levers to extract the pinion. Once off, I jammed the pinion in an adjustable wrench and again used the two 19mm spanners on their edge to lever off the sprocket. I clamped a pair of vice grips on to what remained of the busted bearings and once more used two 19mm spanners to lever them off the shaft.

PinionBearings2.jpg

Last edited:

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was gonna say, if it’s just the bearings, they are cheap. The fix is fiddly, but it is possible if you think about it and study the ipl (cir-clips and any other hidden things)

I know it’s not the same but I fixed a hitachi hedge trimmer where the bearings did as you said (seized solid). They cost me a morning and £5

I guess with stihl it’s cheap to make and expensive to fix. “Made in China can’t fix in the uk”

anyhow let us know how you get on ;)