srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
3:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friends son is interested in modifying engines I figured a kit saw would be a great opportunity to teach him the basics of a 2 stroke porting. He is the son of a mechanic so he’s pretty versed in wrenching just not modification. They have a stihl saw or two so I’ll stick to the clones of them. I’m going to fund the project and let him keep it so an economical kit saw that a skinny 17yr old can run easy.

I’m interested in what people think would be a good fit.

I’m not super versed in stihl clone kits, just the 660 which is too much saw.

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
2:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Awesome project and idea! I haven’t personally bought and built a kit saw yet, BUT I had my MS 361 completely apart and together a couple times and it was fairly straight forward. I know HLS offers this model in a kit - and the 59cc size of this saw would be a great fit for a young up-and-comer in chainsaws.

Sierra_rider

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:56 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A friends son is interested in modifying engines I figured a kit saw would be a great opportunity to teach him the basics of a 2 stroke porting. He is the son of a mechanic so he’s pretty versed in wrenching just not modification. They have a stihl saw or two so I’ll stick to the clones of them. I’m going to fund the project and let him keep it so an economical kit saw that a skinny 17yr old can run easy.

I'm actually helping a couple of coworkers build 440 parts kit saws at the moment. So far so good, the fit/finish is actually quite nice on most of the parts. The only knock I have against them is how ugly the squish band and the ports are on them. However, the chrome looks very nice and holds up well to grinding.

On their cylinders, I ended up cutting the squish band just until it was smooth and then decked the bases...I didn't even really port these, just cleaned up the casting marks and made sure the ports opened evenly. If they're wanting to learn about modifying cylinders, the 440 kit would be perfect IMO. Even if they FUBAR a top end, I think $30 gets them another complete top end.

Barn Shop

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

This is a great idea , of course there are questions that should be answered before doing this, First and foremost do the parents approve? Second how old is the boy? He's mechanically verused ok but is it enough to partake a project of this size, and lastly is he able to physically handle a chainsaw and understand the dangers that is associated?
Again do the parents approve?

Now as to which saw to gift, a nice easy saw to assemble is the MS250 and at about 45cc's and is $99 on Farmertecs website, its a great saw to start out on.
Next would be the MS440 its around 70cc's and right now $299 on Farmertec's website.
From there I would go MS360, MS380 Then the Husqvarna 365/371 (aka 372), 61 or the 288
These are my choices and I personally would choose a Husqvarna due to ease of assembly but again this is my choices.
I do have to say thanks for such I great idea.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was leaning towards a 460 kit, I’d rather do that over a 440. Maybe a 361 if that is a clone offering. Exactly the info I’m looking for.

I just did a 250 for a friend, if I never have to work on one of those again I’ll be ok with it.

Seems like you can get a 260 clone?

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was leaning towards a 460 kit, I’d rather do that over a 440. Maybe a 361 if that is a clone offering. Exactly the info I’m looking for.

I just did a 250 for a friend, if I never have to work on one of those again I’ll be ok with it.

Seems like you can get a 260 clone?
361 was the OG clone I berieve

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought the 660 was. But 361 seems like a good size for a normal use. I don’t think I’ve done a 361 so I’ll be learning along side of him.
Worst part about the 361 kit is the darn muffler…modding them kinda sucks….that and the AM coils for them kinda suck. Once I got an OEM coil on mine it was a much better saw.

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Worst part about the 361 kit is the darn muffler…modding them kinda sucks….that and the AM coils for them kinda suck. Once I got an OEM coil on mine it was a much better saw.

Is the timing late on the AM coil?

farminkarman

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is the timing late on the AM coil?
That and they kept crapping out after 3-4 tanks of fuel. I have an XS ported jug on mine and once the OEM coil went on, it probably picked up another 8%…never confirmed with a timing light, but I would guess AM has late timing. I don’t even have an 044 carb on mine and it still hauls…so, all that to say, they can be a lot of fun when you debug them.

Last edited:

srcarr52

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That and they kept crapping out after 3-4 tanks of fuel. I have an XS ported jug on mine and once the OEM coil went on, it probably picked up another 8%…never confirmed with a timing light, but I would guess AM has late timing.

Crap, that changes things. I don’t want to have to keep fixing the thing!

Dolkitafreak

Dolkita686
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought the 660 was. But 361 seems like a good size for a normal use. I don’t think I’ve done a 361 so I’ll be learning along side of him.
I assisted a 361 kit build and it was pretty rough, not normal mechanical rough but fit and finish was awful. It was a couple years ago so maybe they’ve improved!

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
There were a bunch of clones on display at SawFest. I think one of them was MS-260 Stihl...

Loony661

Stock chainsaws suck.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

In my experience, the baffle inside the 361 is not very restrictive. I measured and added up the surface area of the holes that were in mine from factory, and they equaled a surface area larger than the opening of the stock 361 exhaust port. That being said, I do realize that exhaust gasses are still expanding at this point, but again, the area was larger. All I did to my OEM 361 muffler was make a second port and added a spark arrestor/deflector and it woke it up substantially. No need to open up the muffler at all in my experience..

farminkarman

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my experience, the baffle inside the 361 is not very restrictive. I measured and added up the surface area of the holes that were in mine from factory, and they equaled a surface area larger than the opening of the stock 361 exhaust port. That being said, I do realize that exhaust gasses are still expanding at this point, but again, the area was larger. All I did to my OEM 361 muffler was make a second port and added a spark arrestor/deflector and it woke it up substantially. No need to open up the muffler at all in my experience..
If the saw is ported, you definitely need to open up the muffler and remove the baffle. If the saw is otherwise stock, I could see leaving it.