davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
2:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you keep a parts saw around (say with a blown up engine) for spare pieces and parts like handles and screws?

Or run multiples of the same saw for interchangeability?

Yukon Stihl

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like to find a “parts” one of everything I have which includes vehicals. But I live 100 miles from crappy parts suppliers. Online parts usually are cheaper than going to any parts supply close to me

Last edited:

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you keep a parts saw around (say with a blown up engine) for spare pieces and parts like handles and screws?

I know local loggers used to buy two saws, a runner and a backup saw to either rob parts off of or replace the other saw. I'd like to have "twins" for each class, but I haven't done that yet. Instead, I keep bins of Stihl and Husky hardware from scrapped units, as well as any and all wear parts I run across for saws I own.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have both parts saws, a few backup saws that run, and some bins with parts. It's interesting that the non-running parts saws solve two problems: they help identify the part and they often take up less storage room than separate parts that get mixed up. On a couple of occasions I have converted the non-running parts saw to a runner by suddenly finding spare parts in bins that solved the problem.

I read somewhere that if you had to buy from a dealer and replace all the parts from a Stihl chainsaw, you would drop three times the price of a new model already assembled.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
11:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Multiples of my favorite work saws, see my signature!

No part saws, but small spare parts in two buckets and a couple boxes - not that I needed any of them yet! :)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
5:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Three saws minimum, if they work a lot, four or five of that model or a "sister" saw for each if your running two. The two most used front runners need three minimum imo like limbing saws. I have five or more ready. They're just for me. Crew saws get two of each. Seriously no BS. Have only one in business is not good.

Echoes are popular in 60cc+ with heavy handed users for bucking. I like Stihl but Makita is at the ready. They're smoove and have big tanks. They all run good. One little Husky 41cc and a few big ones. Sold the rest of those.
Most in the middle and all the 660's are parked right now waiting for freshly machined jugs to go on. Been running like only eight saws. Nothing runs full time so I'm porting them all eventually. Takes time to test three jugs of different recipes on one model doing completely different cutting from milling with very long bars to short bar felling. Then swap them out for ported and machined jugs for different setups with different jugs. I'm gonna just pull off the stock and modified stuff for extras again. I bought like fifteen jugs over some years.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I know local loggers used to buy two saws, a runner and a backup saw to either rob parts off of or replace the other saw. I'd like to have "twins" for each class, but I haven't done that yet. Instead, I keep bins of Stihl and Husky hardware from scrapped units, as well as any and all wear parts I run across for saws I own.
I like shopping with them buying carcasses. Like you said when they like something and buy many of them only to break mostly before worn out. To a pro they usually buy a new saw then deal with the fixes that get expensive or the skidder gets it for traction or the pick up truck. Best parts most times and they have friends who know about or own saws.

Hardware scraps are very handy in clear jars.

Basher

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
5 up to 10 of each commonly used models, spare parts if needed but usually have them mostly all running and ready for work.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
4:38 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
LP said, "Hardware scraps are very handy in clear jars."
--------------------
Agreed. Sometimes clear jars make more sense than plastic bags. But, glass jars are getting rather hard to find these days. We live in a plastic world.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
LP said, "Hardware scraps are very handy in clear jars."
--------------------
Agreed. Sometimes clear jars make more sense than plastic bags. But, glass jars are getting rather hard to find these days. We live in a plastic world.
Many salsas, pickle, and sauces are still in glass.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I once lost a screw on my 2050. Went scrounging the saw junkyard. Ended up with 4 more project saws and no screw, haha!. Later I got more 2050 spares and broke a handle once. No prob, grab one off a spare and carry on. But how many saws do we want to store, or if we keep multiples of same running, keep running? I guess I can use next larger or smaller and just wait for parts. But not cost effective to pay $50-80 for a part when you might be able to get a whole parts saw for that $.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Many salsas, pickle, and sauces are still in glass.
Also some plastic jars have very clear plastic. My wife gets those from jars of nuts she gets. Was going to screw some of those lids to the bottom of the stair treads.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have a 40 ft semi van that is my saw storage...
The two here on the property are packed with stuff. One is double inside with a mid 60s Impala in the front. They're both supposed to be leavin this spring.