davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know it's been cussed and discussed...my search fu is weak. I cut a bunch of dry dusty crap in the desert and most of my saws (2 n 3 series) let it in...wood dust meh, but bark dirt/dust bad! Are some saws better than others, and what are the improvements? The 2166/372/345/359 socket style filter/horns - will grease help seal it? Same with screw down 2 series 266/288? 395 has a hi top and it was letting fines in, new flocked filter I hope will help. Put the oiled foam deal on the 3120, haven't tried yet. Jonnyred turbo help? Not really different than husky, right?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know it's been cussed and discussed...my search fu is weak. I cut a bunch of dry dusty crap in the desert and most of my saws (2 n 3 series) let it in...wood dust meh, but bark dirt/dust bad! Are some saws better than others, and what are the improvements? The 2166/372/345/359 socket style filter/horns - will grease help seal it? Same with screw down 2 series 266/288? 395 has a hi top and it was letting fines in, new flocked filter I hope will help. Put the oiled foam deal on the 3120, haven't tried yet. Jonnyred turbo help? Not really different than husky, right?
Grease will stop anything from getting past the filter neck, unlike the turkey necked @dall he keeps slipping into anything to do about a Husqvarna and litter it with little tiny pecker tracks all over the place.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grease will stop anything from getting past the filter neck, unlike the turkey necked @dall he keeps slipping into anything to do about a Husqvarna and litter it with little tiny pecker tracks all over the place.
Snail tracks.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Easiest way to try out an AF upgrade would be pulling a pair of socks over the stock filter, preferably thick winter socks, even soaking them in oil.

That would be what I'd try.
It would rob some engine power, but that is a given with any increased AF restriction.

I'd try it, two or as many layers of socks will still allow the AF cover to seat, and soak the outer layer(s) in 2-stroke oil.

chiselbit

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On a couple of my saws I have put a maxflo foam filter directly onto/over the stock filter and then cut the cover to the expose the filter. No loss of power that I can feel. Makes it easier to brush off the filter occasionally with a cotton fallers glove too. I did this on a 661 when they first came out and maxflow hadn’t made a filter kit for it yet and on a 500i same situation before the foam kit was available. On the 661 I cut out part of the old filter and used the rest as a framework. On the 500 I just left the old one alone to see if it made a difference and like I said it didn’t seem to and I run those saws all day so I feel like I’d notice it if there was a loss of power.

IffykidMn

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you seen the wood @davidwyby cuts , Lol
Yes but only in pics.
Having never cut in those type situations but assume the same techniques used to keep dust out of dirtbikes would be valid.
grease on air horn connections, oiled filters, and the prefilters would all help on chainsaws the same as we use riding in dusty conditions when encountering blow sand.

Could always try a snorkle breather like the Aussies use on their vehicles to get less dust in the intake.:eyepop:

Last edited:

Squareground3691

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:50 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes but only in pics.
Having never cut in those type situations but assume the same techniques used to keep dust out of dirtbikes would be valid.
grease on air horn connections, oiled filters, and the prefilters would all help on chainsaws the same as we use riding in dusty conditions when encountering blow sand.

Could always try a snorkle breather like the Aussies use on their vehicles to get less dust in the intake.:eyepop:
Check his YouTube, if you want to see a plethora of fine particles, Lol 😆