WANTED Jonsered 2171/372xp crank

Trader history (0)

Kensie1988

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So I am rebuilding a 2171 from a busted up saw I got relatively cheap from ebay, the plan is to put the 75cc top end on it and then I plan to have it ported afterwards.

I dont have a whole lot of experience gauging wear on a crank, so I was thinking I might just buy one that is good from someone instead of taking the chance with this one.

What do yall think?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
10:33 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
First thing you should look at is how tight the rod is on the big end bearing. If there's no discernible up and down movement and little side-to-side movement, you're probably in good shape. If you can detect any up and down movement at all, get a different crank.

Also make sure that the rod rotates around on the big end bearing real smooth and inspect the flywheel side stub shaft for flaws in the keyway or flywheel nut threads.

Kensie1988

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
First thing you should look at is how tight the rod is on the big end bearing. If there's no discernible up and down movement and little side-to-side movement, you're probably in good shape. If you can detect any up and down movement at all, get a different crank.

Also make sure that the rod rotates around on the big end bearing real smooth and inspect the flywheel side stub shaft for flaws in the keyway or flywheel nut threads.

Awesome, I will do this at lunch and get back with you. With the amount of money im about to put into it the last thing I need is for the crank to roach it all. Im still trying to figure out the best way to seat the bearings and assemble the cases without any professional tools. Im aware of backing the cases and freezing the bearings, but not sure how long and temperatures to make it work.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
1:33 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
30 minutes at 350 will let the bearings go in by hand. Or press them into the crank and seat them into the flywheel side first then then put the other case half on the crank that way. Hard to warm bearings with plastic cages

Kensie1988

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If I heat the case halves up on my gas grill at 350 and freeze the bearings, they should slip in without much force? Can I put the crank in the freezer when I get ready to assemble the case halves?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I heat the case halves up on my gas grill at 350 and freeze the bearings, they should slip in without much force? Can I put the crank in the freezer when I get ready to assemble the case halves?

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk
That's what I've done before. Works great.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk