High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

john deere lx255

redram06

OPE Member
Local time
7:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
hi all, i'm working on a neighbors JD that's been setting (outside) for about 2 years. it's a john deere lx255.
my current issue is that i can't get the pto to come on. i checked the 2 fuses on the circuit board and they're good. i also unplugged the wiring harness from the clutch and jumpered it with a battery and the clutch engages. i've also checked the pull switch that activates the clutch and it checked good with a meter attached to the 2 terminals on one end. could the printed circuit board be the culprit that keeps it from coming on? i have jumpered out the seat switch and tried to engage with the brake off and in park position. any ideas on where i can check next? thanks in advance for any help.

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sounds like a mouse problem chewed wires, the little devils.

redram06

OPE Member
Local time
7:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
thanks, i did see some evidence of critter damage on the starter cable cap but, it runs and i noticed it shuts off when getting off the seat when the deck is engaged. i haven't seen any other chewing but i'll examine closer. really just trying to find out if anything else might control the pto clutch besides the pull button. i'm pretty sure you can't engage when the seat switch is not positive and it won't run without the park brake on when off the seat. i'm hoping i don't have to replace the circuit board. that part is under the dash and should be away from rain effects but not sure. any idea where the wires from the pto go to?

Mycamaro_68

By guess and by golly
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I Seem to remember some mowers shutting off the deck off when backing up. Might check to see if there is a switch on the reverse peddle that may be bad making it think it is backing up?

blades

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
there are a couple interlock switches on the clutch. The eltromagnetic clutch could be frozen and not able to pull in when power applied.