Jawhorse for Chainsaw Use

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These have been around for several years: basically, a 3-legged, folding saw horse with an integrated clamp / vise. I have seen versions sold under the 'Rockwell', 'Triton', 'WORX', 'Rigid', 'WEN', and 'Franklin' brand names.

I have a couple of saws and chains to evaluate, and need to cut lots of cookies, so I found a used one on Craig's List to see if I can hold some of the limbs more stable than in a saw buck. Anybody else use these with their saws?

IMG_4678.JPG

IMG_4677.JPG

The photos show a 5-1/2 diameter log clamped in place with the standard, rubber jaws. Some models offer a 'log jaw' accessory with metal teeth. I did not see any still offered for this model, but the photo, below, shows a set for the Triton version. These use 3 points of contact for securing irregularly shaped logs or limbs.

Screen shot 2020-07-09 at 10.40.38 PM.png

I may try to make some out of 'U'-channel, with bucking dog style teeth cut in.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Other Saw Uses?

IMG_4681.JPG
Sharpening was the first chainsaw use that I thought of. The Rockwell log jaw accessory, apparently, has built in spacers to hold the guide bar with enough clearance for the chain to be rotated when sharpening. I will just cut some 1/4" spacers to try this. Maybe glue some magnets to them, to hold them to the bar.

Philbert

JimBear

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never seen such an animal as that, it looks handy. I just use my splitter as a vise if I need to cut some cookies testing chains & such.

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
8:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have the same one, use it as an extra hand when there is none around, also makes a bench with some wood and a 2x4.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have never seen such an animal as that, it looks handy. I just use my splitter as a vise if I need to cut some cookies testing chains & such.
These are popular with some for carpentry / home improvement stuff: cutting lumber, shaving doors, etc. Lots of fun infomercials!

If I owned a hydraulic log splitter, I would probably use that too, especially for larger logs. For some past evaluations, I used a ratchet strap and my picnic table, which let me cut right up to the nibs:

photo 18.jpg

The portability of the Jawhorse is also attractive - easy to transport than my picnic table!

Philbert

Attachments

• photo 3.3.jpg
    photo 3.3.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A Couple More Shots in Use

Used the Jawhorse to cut over 100 cookies yesterday, just using the standard, rubber jaws.

Holding odd shaped wood for cutting test cookies (click to enlarge):

IMG_4691.JPG IMG_4695.JPG

Holding rounds for noodling (!) - (click to enlarge):

IMG_4692.JPG IMG_4694.jpg

EDIT: I should point out the obvious: this thing is almost completely made out of metal, so a little bit of aiming, when cutting close to the jaws with a chainsaw, is a prudent thing to do.

Philbert

Last edited:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I Really Like This Thing . . .

Continued to use the Jawhorse over the past few days to cut up a couple hundred (?) test cookies, and to buck half a face cord of limbs into 16" pieces. I held wood up to 6-1/2 inches in diameter, using only the standard, rubber jaws: makes me wonder if the 'Logjaws' are worth it. Solid, secure, easy to set up and move, folds down for compact storage.

As noted above, this thing is made almost completely out of metal, and I did nick the chain once when noodling (places chain much closer to the legs). So I 'engineered' a complex, integrated safeguarding system, using a scrap 2X4 and some duct tape that seems to work ("If the women don't find you handsome, they ought to find you handy!"):

IMG_4702.jpg

I also conducted a proof-of-concept investigation of another application near to my heart (sharp eyes will see that there is no grinding wheel used in this test, and that it involves a 'clone' grinder - I wasn't going to risk my good, Oregon grinder and wheels for such a risky adventure!):

IMG_4701.JPG

Keep your eyes open for these on the local CL, etc., and give one a try!

Philbert

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
These have been around for several years: basically, a 3-legged, folding saw horse with an integrated clamp / vise. I have seen versions sold under the 'Rockwell', 'Triton', 'WORX', 'Rigid', 'WEN', and 'Franklin' brand names.

I have a couple of saws and chains to evaluate, and need to cut lots of cookies, so I found a used one on Craig's List to see if I can hold some of the limbs more stable than in a saw buck. Anybody else use these with their saws?

View attachment 249413

View attachment 249412

The photos show a 5-1/2 diameter log clamped in place with the standard, rubber jaws. Some models offer a 'log jaw' accessory with metal teeth. I did not see any still offered for this model, but the photo, below, shows a set for the Triton version. These use 3 points of contact for securing irregularly shaped logs or limbs.

View attachment 249414

I may try to make some out of 'U'-channel, with bucking dog style teeth cut in.

Philbert
Got me hunting all over Amazon & Fleabay for one now! LOL
I see tons of use for one or two...

sundance

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am going to give one a try. $75 bucks. I have other uses for it too.
@trooney Used? Or did you find a new one that cheap? I'd like to try one for various things but not at the $130+ prices I see.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I paid $75 for mine, used, in very good condition, from Craig's List.

Prices are all over the place: I hate to quote, because things change so fast, but just some examples today:
$270 for the extended plywood Rockwell 'Sheet Master' model at The Home Depot, but the standard WEN version is $130 at the same place!
Triton version $135 on Amazon, and a 'no-brand' model there for $110.
The Harbor Freight version $130 (before coupon discounts).
Some NOS on local CL for $130.
'No-brand' on eBay $100 shipped, and others up to $700 (!!!).

I have not compared the quality of different brands, side-by-side, but there are some videos on YouTube that do this. Only tip I can offer is to search for both 'Jawhorse' and 'Jaw Horse' - I got different results. That description seems to apply to multiple brands, although, likely trademarked by one company.

Philbert

Last edited:

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They are very good for DIY projects, I remember my father buying one made under the Triton brand 25+ years ago. His circular saw bench was Triton too both in that orange colour.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have one that I use almost exclusively for my woodworking projects, mostly for holding cutting boards while I sand them. I have planed up several blocks of various sizes that I can put under them and clamp the ends of the boards. Here are a couple of pictures. Just so you are aware, the moving clamp slides out and can be reversed for larger items.

7FB113D7-9F49-481C-9FC6-FCE6E054838F.jpeg47A09E7A-AC3F-4335-94E8-40E7F4B8CCE6.jpeg