Is the pump bad?

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
4:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t have much pressure washer experience and got a free Homelite a while back with a Honda motor. Runs amazing. Bought a Chinese high pressure hose/wand/trigger/nozzle kit. Hooked up garden hose, turned water on at house, hooked up high pressure hose, started motor, pulled trigger many times for various periods and absolutely nothing ever happened. Removed high pressure hose and nothing comes out other than a tiny dribble. Is the pump bad? How do you prime these things?

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:13 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I asked here how to adjust my triplex pump max pressure and the response I got was to change the nozzle on your wand.

so I would try that :stick:

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turned out lots of hard water sediment was where garden hose connects. It was compacted full all the way thru. Used screwdrivers to clear and removed pressure valve or whatever from the other side but busted off its threads in there. Got it 80 percent clean.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t have much pressure washer experience... pulled trigger many times for various periods and absolutely nothing ever happened.

as in zero water came out the wand?

with the engine running at full speed or at least reasonably above ~1000 rpm idle the pump is turning and with not pulling the trigger and having the hose connected and all that so no water is flowing, the pump should first build pressure into the high-pressure output hose up to the trigger of the wand, to whatever psi the pump is advertised at. I was kidding about the wand nozzle.

if it doesn't then either (a) you have a bad pump or (b) it is fraudulent marketing, you'll have to decide what is reasonable...

for example, I bought a HF predator 4400psi 4.2gpm pressure washer, their big one for ~$1000 which has gotten good reviews, and it does work well. however when I put a 0-6000 psi pressure guage on the output side of the pump to measure max pressure that the pump is making it maxes out around 3900 psi, far from the advertised 4400 psi. so like 88% ? is the pump bad in this case no. is changing the wand nozzle (when no water is flowing) going to help, maybe in an alternate universe.

but u say "absolutely nothing happens" when you pull your wand trigger... with the engine not running and the pump not turning simply pulling the trigger or if u were to not have the high-pressure hose connected on the pump output should be a decent flow of water like 50% of your kitchen sink faucet. same for coming out of the wand without a nozzle it should be a horse-piss stream with no pressure. If you don't get that then you don't have adequate input water flow to the pump and you will likely damage the pump when it does run at full speed and it starts sucking what isn't there and begins to run dry and overheat.
so before u run your pressure washer you should ALWAYS verify the water source you're using has an acceptable flow to meet the needs of the pump being used on the pressure washer, especially if it's some place other than your own where you are not absolutely sure and especially if it's coming from a well pump. if it's a 4gpm or higher pump it is good to make sure the source water flow is acceptable, like fill a 5 gal pail and time it if you otherwise can't recognize. If you are running off well water, be sure not to run your well dry and kill your well pump.

Last edited:

LAWN BOY

Pothole
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So did I wreck the pump by running the engine for 10 minutes with the passage clogged so not much water could get into the pump?

Lnk

Stock Chainsaws do not suck!
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Turned out lots of hard water sediment was where garden hose connects. It was compacted full all the way thru. Used screwdrivers to clear and removed pressure valve or whatever from the other side but busted off its threads in there. Got it 80 percent clean.
Water should come out of the wand whether it is running or not with the water on to the inlet. They self prime

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Might not apply but a lot of times the valves get fouled especially with hard water .Pop them out,clean them up and a lot of times that will cure it ..When I park my unit for winter I give it a load of automotive type anti freeze which seems to work.This summer I didn't even use it .It's a 3000 PI machine with an 8 HP engine ..It says Homelite but It's doubfull that company made it ..

Reactions: Lnk