Kiwioilboiler

346 Pic Examiner
Local time
2:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hi,

The subject of oil cocktails came up on the Oil and Ratio thread, to which i initially thought "who in their right mind would bother mixing different oils".....then remembered, I do! In the boat that is.

Below is a snip from Bass Boat Central, where a gent by the name of Don Weeds hangs out and helps folks out with Mercury Marine outboard issues. I'm the owner of a 135HP Merc Optimax, which are an interesting two stroke direct fuel injected 2.5L V6. They run a belt driven air compressor to atomise electric pump lifted high pressure fuel. No longer produced, and not very well understood, and much maligned too.

Anyhow, Mr Weeds recommends a whole raft of things be done to maintain your Optimax, one of which is to pour a cocktail of propriarity additives and 2M oil into the fuel tank (to treat fuel AND lubricate injectors), as well as the special viscosity 2M oil that gets pumped from its own tank to the bearings and what not as well as for conventional 2T combustion lube. As the only person who seems to be interested in the continued service of Optimax's in general, i have taken Mr Weeds advice and started dosing as per his prescription.

@WillG @Stevetheboatguy @merc_man you guys seem to be boat industry folks, whats your take on this?

Cheers, Adam.

Attachments

• Optimax Fuel.PNG
    Optimax Fuel.PNG
    352.9 KB · Views: 19

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
8:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Meh....... We only recommend a fuel treatment added to the fuel on opti's and etec's. If you add oil to the fuel they foul plugs and carbon up things.

Personally it's opti oil for opti's and xd100 for etec's. Have plenty of guys that fish commercially reliability isn't a issue with the oil. It's a fuel and storage issue. I'd rateher have a 3yo engine with 1000 hrs on it than a 10yo with only 100. Sitting does nothing good for those fuel systems.

Steven

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Don knows his stuff.
He has all the top Merc school certifactions on his wall.
We fish/boat here year round and he sees/works on Bass fishing, performance and pleasure boats that operate on the many large lakes and rivers in the area.
He is always been helpful and has a fast parts dept. In house injector cleaning testing service for most brands.
I run a Yamaha myself but people around here with Mercs that can't be fixed right will travel the 100 miles to his shop.