HELP! installing piston pin retainer

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
this is on a KM90R Stihl trimmer, got a new cylinder and piston+ring kit. Got the piston pin retainer off, on the old piston. Got the new piston pin in with the new piston on the connecting rod. The two little retainers that insert in the piston to hold the pin, what's the way to install those?
the 2 little guys on the blue tape in the pic.

Attachments

• pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    407.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

Gord

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made a vey small scredriver slightly hooked and on the first one i put the piston pin in to keep it in the slot and postion the opening of the clip sligtly ahead of the pry slot with my thumb over it, hook in while prying it into place and use the pison pin to make sure it is set right- where safty glasses and I hope your hearig is good- now since I have done so many I find them very easy.

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
so that vid was nice, but it's on a full size piston, with the retainer clip being about the size of a quarter. The 2-stroke i'm dealing with the piston diameter is about 1 inch, and the retainer clip is smaller than my pinky finger fingernail. The only thing I am going to succeed at is shooting the clip across the room and never finding it again. It is so small, and stiff, you cannot use just your fingers.

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:02 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You can get an installer tool. Stihl part number 5910 890 2208. Expensive if you only use it once. You could re-sell it after use?

Screenshot_20230815-183055.png