mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
12:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I am looking at a Allis Chalmers FP50 forklift. The owner says it has slop in the steering. Says it has bad ball joints. Does anyone know anything about the steering on this forklift?

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One of my best friends is a forklift repair and dealer. I can ask him, he knows his stuff. I'll ask him about the sloppy steering, do you have any specific questions I could relay to him?

@mirage

Last edited:

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here is what my friend said via txt.

"That thing is a *f-wording dinosaur. Steering cylinder could be leaking/bypassing/ orbitrol could be going out, or the steer linkage is shot. Can't tell you other than looking at it"

Lol, hope that helps you any.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if he sells forklifts maybe he could sell me one for my shop. Has to have pneumatic tires on it. Got to use it on a gravel driveway

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The parts manual is available from Jensales.com. I would at least get that and see if anything is still available. I bet it has alot of parts in common with other brands.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can you ask your friend if parts are still available

Since that unit is probably a Fiat and AC has been defunct for almost 38 years I'd say not from a dealer. If you can break down each sub assembly to a brand then you could potentially find what you need through that manufacturer.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know it is a gas engine. I will try and find a parts diagram and look at the staring. thanks for all the help and info

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:02 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking the forklift line was not included when Fiat and AC joined together in 1974. Many of the non-constructive lines continued under the Allis-Chalmers name into the 90's. AC was a huge conglomerate of everything from power plants to tractors to commercial kitchen machines. I've read that their rock crushers were some of the best in the business and are still sought out today.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well if he sells forklifts maybe he could sell me one for my shop. Has to have pneumatic tires on it. Got to use it on a gravel driveway

Hey sorry I just now saw this. I tend overlook unless im quoted or the @ thing has me tagged so I get a notification. Sorry about that!

He might be able to source used parts for that Allis C. lift or like you said maybe another lift would work. - Should I grab your number and pass it along to him so he can give you a call? You can pm if that works better for you. I am "following" the thread now so I should get notifications, or just PM me.

Thanks!

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking the forklift line was not included when Fiat and AC joined together in 1974. Many of the non-constructive lines continued under the Allis-Chalmers name into the 90's. AC was a huge conglomerate of everything from power plants to tractors to commercial kitchen machines. I've read that their rock crushers were some of the best in the business and are still sought out today.

Yup, you're correct Lance. Definitely an AC machine.

Xr650jkallen

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Probably running a flathead 4 cylinder. The AC forklift we had a Wisconsin engine in it. Napa can get most parts for the engine. The rest of the lift, we searched the internet and ebay for parts.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what do y'all think would be a fair price for it. It runs and works like it should has slope in the steering. The guy selling it wants 3200.00 for it.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well the seller sold the lift. Off to find another one. Thank you for all the info.