Import chainsaw to US

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
5:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've tryed for a month to ship a complete saw (used 346 xpg) to US, but parcel is refused at US border.
Far as I've understood the reason is what the parcel contain is not legal.

Is it so difficult to ship a saw to US?
Anything I need to be aware of?

Majorpayne

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've tryed for a month to ship a complete saw (used 346 xpg) to US, but parcel is refused at US border.
Far as I've understood the reason is what the parcel contain is not legal.

Is it so difficult to ship a saw to US?
Anything I need to be aware of?

I think you will have disassemble it and ship in separate packages.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Basically from what I understand of it Tor, what you were attempting to do is import an unregulated non current saw into the US. The EPA has regulations on this now a days. Food for thought, there are no regulations on parts for saws already here as far as I know, if that saw were to come here in a dozen boxes labeled parts, might get through that way possibly, as I bring in parts from all over the world with no problems. These are just my thoughts, from the little bit I know, someone else may have more experience in this matter.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So much for putting it together haha, I've never had any issues to import complete saw to Norway before so I was kinda shocked that your guys has suchs a difficult system.
I've shipped parts before without any issues bit never a complete one, it was cheaper for me to ship it complete as there is one amount we pay no mather what + kg price.

So, if I get your guys correct I have to split it and ship two parcels?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This I don't know, at what point does it not become a complete saw and is just parts. But yes broke down shipped at different times, we have a few people that can put two and two together here. The problem stems from the pollution control regulations of the overly empowered EPA of our current administration. All I know is parts are no problem, Germany, Greece, Ireland, England, France, Hong Kong, China, Australia, Brazil are countries that have shipped direct to me with no problems what so ever.

DSS

widebody
Local time
12:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Never heard of such a thing. I know it's better to send a saw in pieces to me, as it can be called saw parts and the value can be downgraded for duty purposes. They only inspect maybe 10% of the stuff coming to Canada anyway. I've gotten quite a few saws shipped with no problems.

Except the ones Ross sent, but we won't go there.

DSS

widebody
Local time
12:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So much for putting it together haha, I've never had any issues to import complete saw to Norway before so I was kinda shocked that your guys has suchs a difficult system.
I've shipped parts before without any issues bit never a complete one, it was cheaper for me to ship it complete as there is one amount we pay no mather what + kg price.

Leave it all in one parcel, but take it apart, covers, handle, etc. I think the more it looks like a box of parts, the better the chance of them paying no attention.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strangely, I've never had a problem with duty charges at all. They do inspect everything very well x-ray the whole bit, not only looking for banned items but drugs and stuff like that as well. If anything is off it will then to to the Government agency responsible to investigate further. Then a course of action taken. Only problem I've heard between Canada and the United States was with new saws. Guess them Governments like there taxes you know.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Leave it all in one parcel, but take it apart, covers, handle, etc. I think the more it looks like a box of parts, the better the chance of them paying no attention.
Yes, when I get the saw in return I will split it apart, tank + bottom part in one part and the other parts seperated, it will defently more look like parts then.
Post office in Norway checking up whatever rule I broked in US, so it will go smoother next time lol

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Strangely, I've never had a problem with duty charges at all. They do inspect everything very well x-ray the whole bit, not only looking for banned items but drugs and stuff like that as well. If anything is off it will then to to the Government agency responsible to investigate further. Then a course of action taken. Only problem I've heard between Canada and the United States was with new saws. Guess them Governments like there taxes you know.
they scan everything in Norway also, but it goes smooth as long the forms are filled in correct.
I know I filled in the forms correct on this 346 NE, luckily I have not started to put one 550xpg together who also goes over the pond.
Maybe I'm banned in US now, I may never be able to visit your guys hahaha

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
11:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a 346 imported. From canada no problems whatsoever saw was complete outside of a bar and chain???

e.fisher26

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

EPA IS TERRRIBLE

-Efisher26-

Magnumitis

Kevin in Arkansas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In my opinion, declaring it is a gift throws a red flag. I shipped rocketnorton/Pete in B.C. Canada two aftermarket HD filters and an 044 top cover. Filled out all paperwork honestly and declared the contents value at $20. No problem

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
they scan everything in Norway also, but it goes smooth as long the forms are filled in correct.
I know I filled in the forms correct on this 346 NE, luckily I have not started to put one 550xpg together who also goes over the pond.
Maybe I'm banned in US now, I may never be able to visit your guys hahaha

Probably not banned, just on a watch list! LOL

no bar chain.
It was one Husky cartoon.
Form note had: used chainsaw/parts, and crossed as gift also

I also would not use a box that another chainsaw came in, use just a regular plain old brown/white box, putting it in a Husqvarna box makes it look like you're trying to sneak one past 'em.

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my opinion, declaring it is a gift throws a red flag. I shipped rocketnorton/Pete in B.C. Canada two aftermarket HD filters and an 044 top cover. Filled out all paperwork honestly and declared the contents value at $20. No problem
is there a limit of value in US before your guys have to pay import tax?
Things are different in Norway , if you buy one saw from Europe you will pay important tax if the value exeed 40$, if it's crossed as gift you are home safe, and yes, sometime they take contact with the guy who shipped the saw.

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'd love to know if anyone has imported one from the UK, as I have a couple of 090's I'll be advertising soon on the forum

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Be sure to label it as used parts. I ordered some new parts from Germany a few years back for a VW I had. The folks I ordered from said the customs paperwork would say used parts to get it through but to not worry they were new parts.