I'm done!

Firewood Bandit

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well I am done with firewood for the season. Finished Thursday, got the mess cleaned up yesterday.

Just in time, golfing is in full swing and we play 18 holes every day and the 680 apple trees are now requiring attention. The first spray went on yesterday and the will need another by mid week. I didn't measure but only have about 20 cord this year, the snow got deep and it was cold. However snowmobiling was a blast.

The last pic is what I call "board or plank split". Large pieces that are thin have a lot of surface area and it dries quicker than wedge shaped pieces.

epqdex.jpg

2nrj8jn.jpg

v67nya.jpg

21ak2lu.jpg

2ptclcm.jpg

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:01 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I burned about 3 cord this past season. I usually burn 2, but this wood thst I got dried up like crazy. Much of it burned to ash instead of cialing up so I had to add more regularly. Not sure of the wood, some was poplar, and some very hard, but just dried up to a very light weight. Threw off a lot of heat, just didn't burn as long.
I cut nothing but Oak, maple and cherry this past year so I am good to go. Plus I cut 5 times as much as I normally burn.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Really pretty decent, 1,800 sq ft. Plus the hot water
Omg, thats terrible efficiency. I'm heating almost 1900 sqft and domestic hot water and I'm burning less than 6 cord per year. I start burning in October and and burn through May. I wouldnt do it if I had to process that much every year.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm mostly done burning. The keep-it-going season is over, but no doubt ther'll be some evning fires to take the chill out. Will do that primarily with the cookies and scraps.

Went through more this year than a typical season. Like Jeff was dealing with, type of wood was part of the reason, and a much colder March and early April too. Burned mostly Ash, which is everywhere around here thanks to the EAB. But i know what you mean about Poplar. When it gets real light like that it goes up the chimney pretty quick. One thing good about it is that when the coals get low, it lights off real quick and your back in business in no time. Wouldn't want too much of it though.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Omg, thats terrible efficiency. I'm heating almost 1900 sqft and domestic hot water and I'm burning less than 6 cord per year. I start burning in October and and burn through May. I wouldnt do it if I had to process that much every year.
Took another look at the pic lol. Doubt I’d burn that, lot more there than what I saw the first time. :oops: