IBC TOTES- Firewood storage made easy

Ontario Firewood Resource

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Please refrain from starting new threads that are nothing but a you-tube link. This is a forum for discussions.
If we want to watch videos, we already know where to go.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Seems like forums today have graduated beyond discussion in light of social media becoming the standard. The internet used to be all discussion when it started, and it has obviously evolved heavily from its past and it is what it is today because of cat videos. Some people really want to see video content to understand the topic better than solely talking about it or looking at pictures

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
3:14 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get how to toss the wood in; how do you stack the wood so neatly inside of the totes?

How do you get the wood out?

Do you deliver wood in the totes?

Thanks.

Philbert

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I get how to toss the wood in; how do you stack the wood so neatly inside of the totes?

How do you get the wood out?

Do you deliver wood in the totes?

Thanks.

Philbert
I unload the wood by hand until I get my skid steer going again. When it's back online, Ill put the crate on the back of the trip and tip it with the forks and then tip again til its upside down, then extract

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like to see that in the video!

Philbert
I will make a video because I know that people want that. I dont have my skid steer going so I have to fill them where they are and I fill 6 to 8 crates at a time, spreading the wood out between the different sizes and types. What I can do is make a pile near one crate that will be enough to fill one and then film that. I just subscribed. No need to ask!

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Like to see that in the video!

Philbert
Its tight in there, but there's room. I'll toss maybe 60 piece in then climb in and clear one side, which means moves some logs while in there. Then I just keep feeding the row with whats around me and then Ill repeat the process. Its easier when you get half way up, then you don't have to climb in. Some of the floors are angled for drainage, some aren't. This causes both rows to lean into each other a bit and when you get to the top, you can fill the middle section which is lower (because of the taper) with logs either across or perpendicular, however they fit. You can pile then a little higher in the centre if you are stacking another totes on top, but dont stack them too high if you're using a forklift the remove the top tote as you are blocking clearance for the forks. Also, don't over fill in the corners (or with some totes, the middle between each corner because the top tote's support brackets underneath will stop you from setting it inside the one below it.

dirter

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not surprised that they get torn apart. Firewood is a lot of weight
Indeed. I got the biggest ones I could find. I think they are 330 gallon. I know they were over 300. My wife reaches in and kind of straightens the wood as it comes off the processor so we get 1/3 of a cord in them. 6FA500D0-BD88-4D73-B60D-9D6C216EB0FE.jpeg

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just saying thats a damn good idea.
Indeed. I got the biggest ones I could find. I think they are 330 gallon. I know they were over 300. My wife reaches in and kind of straightens the wood as it comes off the processor so we get 1/3 of a cord in them. View attachment 288345

How dry does that setup keep your wood? Is it ready to bring right in the house and burn or is that just what you do for seasoning?

dirter

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The hats help but we never get caught up enough for full drying before it’s on the road. My main customer takes it as fast as I can get it to him and lets it set in a field to dry before stocking his little cubes for the campers.

MedicineMan

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The hats help but we never get caught up enough for full drying before it’s on the road. My main customer takes it as fast as I can get it to him and lets it set in a field to dry before stocking his little cubes for the campers.

That removal panel is ingenious! Can you post close up photos of the mechanism you use to keep it on?