High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

I think this error is unrecoverable? Piston ring caught in port during top end rebuild

Gregory Mosher

OPE Member
Local time
2:03 PM
User ID
Reaction score
OPE

Yup - I goofed up - perhaps someone with more experience has a way to fix this? If not it's time to buy another new cylinder & piston and start over. I bought a Husky 262xp on Craigslist - low compression, I got a good price. Never torn down a 2-stroke before, but read a lot and have a mechanical background - decided to give it a try. Removed the cylinder and piston - easy. They really did not look bad inside but I decided to replace them. I bought a new aftermarket set.

Got the piston installed, yes arrow pointing toward where exhaust port will be. Got gasket placement right, ring installed, light coating of 2-stroke oil on piston and inside of cylinder. Now time to slide cylinder over piston. Cylinder slides on fine, ring compressed ok, bam - all set - wohoo - easy as pie. UM - EXCEPT... I frikkin had the cylinder rotated 180 degrees wrong way - exhaust side of cylinder was pointing to the Carb side of the saw - crap.

Here is where the real f-up happened. I should have stopped and thought a bit - nope... I said to self - easy fix, just rotate the cylinder so the exhaust port faces front. I bet you pros know the rest.... what a dumb ass I was... I now have a edge of the ring protruding into a port inside the cylinder. I can't pull the cylinder out, rotates a bit left/right and moves up down 3/8 inch - the height of the port.

Any way to recover the new piston and cylinder or are they now a paperweight?

Regards,
Gpsfool.

exSW

'Cause Thomas is a poopyhead
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cylinder is harder than the ring. Just counter rotate the piston until the ring reseats.

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes, should be able to spin and pull up on the cylinder and get it off. Even if the ring breaks no worries.
Would you like to sell the oem cylinder? Pics?

Gregory Mosher

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice.

By applying a wee bit of twisting force (screwdriver handle through the piston pin holes) I was able to break apart the ring and then remove the piston. Ring and piston are shot but cylinder still looks good. Got new ones ordered - perhaps I'll get this thing back together later in the week.

At this time I do not want to sell the old cylinder.
Gpsfool