Trader history (0)

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so on 17 March 2018, I chat on the phone with Rick Helsel, Manton Mi, 49663. The number listed is for "Michigan Big Trees." EDIT - REMOVED STREET ADDRESS.

First up, Rick said he has a friend with a few Stihl Contra G/GS gearcase covers and I desperately need one for my Contra GS. When I said I really needed one, he said, "I'm on it!" After that, nothing.

Next up is the "original 10 cube Stihl 090" that Rick found. He said it was for sale and George Harrison (wasn't he one of the Beatles?) in California owns it. Rick is going to "set it up so I can get it." You guessed it. Nothing.

On 31 March, after spending considerable time to find one, I manage to scrounge up a flywheel for a Dolmar KMS-4 that Rick has. Cost me $110 including shipping to Rick. Like a dummy, I ship it to him without asking for cash up front.

Rick is also searching for a 288XP, so I find him a nice used one in Europe. Then he tells me he wants a new one, and I put him in touch with Robin Wood. Hope he didn't jerk Robin around, too.

Next Rick said he found and would pick up a hardly used Stihl Contra for me. After that, nothing.

On 1 May, Rick said he would ship a Super Rex jug, piston, and carburetor to me to swap for the KMS-4 flywheel. Even sent pics of the parts. After saying, "Ok, I will ship it," he never sent anything.

On 2 June I said I needed a gas tank for one of my Solo Twins. Rick said he had tanks that will fit. Never heard back on this even though I bugged him about it again.

On 27 June, I'm finally starting to lose patience and wrote Rick telling him so. Said, "I lost a family member. But Scott I will do everything that I said that I will do." So I send condolences and give him some time.

2 August I said, "I just want my money. I give up." He replied, "I have PayPal. Just let me know what your address is."

12 August, no money. Contact him again. He replied, "I'll get it this week."

22 August, he sends pictures of 2 Contra parts saws. I said, "I'd take those instead of $100." Yeah, I'm a dummy.

A few days later, he said, "I'll ship the Contras." Last Friday, he said, "I will ship them tomorrow." I wait a few days and ask for the tracking number. Crickets.

I finally get my money via PayPal from Greg Helsel 0n 29 August. Only took about 5 months.

Lesson learned -- don't deal with Rick Helsel. He's a liar, plain and simple.

Last edited:

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
3:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so on 17 March 2018, I chat on the phone with Rick Helsel, Manton Mi, 49663. The number listed is for "Michigan Big Trees." EDIT - REMOVED STREET ADDRESS.

First up, Rick said he has a friend with a few Stihl Contra G/GS gearcase covers and I desperately need one for my Contra GS. When I said I really needed one, he said, "I'm on it!" After that, nothing.

Next up is the "original 10 cube Stihl 090" that Rick found. He said it was for sale and George Harrison (wasn't he one of the Beatles?) in California owns it. Rick is going to "set it up so I can get it." You guessed it. Nothing.

On 31 March, after spending considerable time to find one, I manage to scrounge up a flywheel for a Dolmar KMS-4 that Rick has. Cost me $110 including shipping to Rick. Like a dummy, I ship it to him without asking for cash up front.

Rick is also searching for a 288XP, so I find him a nice used one in Europe. Then he tells me he wants a new one, and I put him in touch with Robin Wood. Hope he didn't jerk Robin around, too.

Next Rick said he found and would pick up a hardly used Stihl Contra for me. After that, nothing.

On 1 May, Rick said he would ship a Super Rex jug, piston, and carburetor to me to swap for the KMS-4 flywheel. Even sent pics of the parts. After saying, "Ok, I will ship it," he never sent anything.

On 2 June I said I needed a gas tank for one of my Solo Twins. Rick said he had tanks that will fit. Never heard back on this even though I bugged him about it again.

On 27 June, I'm finally starting to lose patience and wrote Rick telling him so. Said, "I lost a family member. But Scott I will do everything that I said that I will do." So I send condolences and give him some time.

2 August I said, "I just want my money. I give up." He replied, "I have PayPal. Just let me know what your address is."

12 August, no money. Contact him again. He replied, "I'll get it this week."

22 August, he sends pictures of 2 Contra parts saws. I said, "I'd take those instead of $100." Yeah, I'm a dummy.

A few days later, he said, "I'll ship the Contras." Last Friday, he said, "I will ship them tomorrow." I wait a few days and ask for the tracking number. Crickets.

I finally get my money via PayPal from Greg Helsel 0n 29 August. Only took about 5 months.

Lesson learned -- don't deal with Rick Helsel. He's a liar, plain and simple.

Does he have forum handle?
And is Rick and Greg really the same dude?

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does he have forum handle?
And is Rick and Greg really the same dude?

I don't know if he's a member here. Probably not. His user name on AS is HELSEL but he hasn't been there in years.

I don't know if Rick and Greg are the same people. But apparently his family is big into chainsaws and chainsaw racing, and not all of them are d*uchebags like he is.

Thanks

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I'm not mistaken Greg is Rick's son .It's none of my business but I think Rick is in bad health which might explain things .

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Even if Rick is in bad health you don't treat folks the way he does.
I had my very own experience with ole Rick Helsel. My first was a
NOS Barker chainsaw I bought off ebay. The ebay account was in
his wifes name. I didn't know him at this time. The saw arrived in
a timely manner and all was good. Some how I ended up in a phone
conversation with him. We chatted a number of times mostly saw talk.
He told me he had another Barker just like the one I bought but a used
one. I bought it. It took about 3 months to get. We chatted some more
over a few months and every conversation he kept telling me about a
restored Solo Super Rex. He had restored it with new crank, cylinder,
piston, and a few nos parts. I took the plung and sent him 1240.00
via paypal but paid with a credit card. about 4 months go by and I finally
get the saw on Dec 24 2006. After checking it over I discovered this
thing is nothing but a painted up ole hoe. Crank, cylinder and piston
were all used. Piston had more wear on it and the cylinder had chrome
coming off the bore. I called him and told him all this and he said I never
said those parts were nos. He said he told me they were like nos. BS.
The saw was then sent back with sig confirmation on Dec 26 2006. After
a month or so of trying to get my money back I filed a claim with my credit
card company and won. So at least I got my 1240.00 back from him.
Big lesson learned, Never and I mean never do any type of biz with ole

RICK HELSEL as he is nothing but a lying thieving piece of chit

Scott I feel your pain. Wish I knew you were conversing with him. I would
have given you a heads up.

bulletpruf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Uncle Lee -

Sorry to hear that you've had dealings with Rick too. Hopefully the word will get out that he can't be trusted.

Scott

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
1:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was hoping the word would have gotten out 12 years ago when
I had my issue with Rick. I told everyone I could think of. His
brother or son can't remember which and it might be Greg from
what I've heard is a great guy. Straight shooter and builds some
of the best race saws and race chains.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
4:04 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wasn't trying to make excuses about something that is no business of mine .I've never dealt with him other than to make some specialty items on my lathe for a couple of Cliffs famous Husky over bores .I didn't charge him for the work . We differ greatly in our view of politics but that has nothing to do with this conversation .He did drop me from one forum and unfriended me on FB but I guess that's his option .I'm not going to lose any sleep over it .Besides I can build saw engines too ,'taint rocket science .:)