I need a new grinder

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had an Oregon grinder at work for several years now. It’s worked pretty good for what it was. Well, it won’t work any longer. It was running and started slowing down and then the smoke show started and tripped a breaker. Definitely got the motor!

So, what’s a good grinder to buy/upgrade to? I’ve read several threads here and other places about ones with the reversible switch so that the wheel rotates into the tooth the same way in each side. I was never a huge fan of the Oregon grinder, but made do with it.

Do I order the Stihl grinder from the dealer? Tecomec? MAXX? Or another Oregon?

I do have CBN wheels for the Oregon, so if I could stick with that same size wheel, it would be nice.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
11:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
AMA Maxx Pro has a swivel vice , teeth get always ground inward, sparks never fly toward the operator.

The Maxx utilizes these readily available and affordable wheels.
Not shown, I also have Diamond wheels for grinding Carbide chains, identical size specs.
Available wheel thickness 3mm, 4.7mm, 6mm.

IMG_20241013_085836.jpg
IMG_20241013_085816.jpg
IMG_20241013_085811.jpg

I realize that the AMA Maxx Pro does not have a strong following, and I can not comment on durability & longevity in a professional work environment (daily usage).
I can confirm that buying my Maxx was the best thing I ever did in terms of chain sharpening and maintenance.

In regards of wheel compatibility, as long as the OD fits You can make an adapter to make the ID fit as long as the ID hole of Your wheels is not smaller than the grinders spindle.
I did that in order to utilize some really good Weiler wheels meant for grinding bandsaws.

Good luck!

el33t

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you are disappointed with the quality of grinders called Oregon, you will also be disappointed with the quality of grinders sold under the name Tecomec. The manufacturer of Oregon grinders is Tecomec.

And you can also buy Tecomec Super Jolly recommended above, labeled Oregon 620.

And Stihl Universal-SchärfGerät (USG) uses different sized grinding wheels than Tecomec/Oregon/AMA. The mounting hole diameter (arbor size) is 12 mm instead of 7/8'' (22.2 mm).
Stihl USG is “universal” because it can also sharpen circular saws and hedge trimmers. In the past, there was also an attachment for square chain grinding.

Last edited:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you are disappointed with the quality of grinders called Oregon, you will also be disappointed with the quality of grinders sold under the name Tecomec. The manufacturer of Oregon grinders is Tecomec.

And you can also buy Tecomec Super Jolly recommended above, labeled Oregon 620.

And Stihl Universal-SchärfGerät (USG) uses different sized grinding wheels than Tecomec/Oregon/AMA. The mounting hole diameter (arbor size) is 12 mm instead of 7/8'' (22.2 mm).
Stihl USG is “universal” because it can also sharpen circular saws and hedge trimmers. In the past, there was also an attachment for square chain grinding.
It wasn’t so much the quality of the grinder, more the adjustments and the fact that the arm on our had a little wiggle/flex to it. Maybe it was just operator error?

Honestly, is the USG “worth” the extra cost?

earlthegoat2

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used every grinder under the Oregon branding and they all flex/slop the way you describe. The lower end Oregon, I cannot really recommend. It would be OK for light use. I personally don’t think the flex affects anything but I understand the concern and agree a grinder would be better without it.

I have also used the Stihl USG and can recommend it over the Oregons if price is no object. The Oregon is a better value though and easier to find extra wheels for. The Stihl has less flex/slop also.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
10:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s like most things… you don’t know what your missing out on… till you try it 😉

I had a knock off oregon grinder, it worked great but had its own flex that you could work to your advantage.. however my mate had a stihl bench grinder ( not usg) I used it and thought what a nice grinder. It took me over 3yrs to find a 2nd hand usg..

Ive not even looked at the knockoff since 🤷‍♂️

But as it’s been said before.. if you got diamond wheels for the other ? I'd probably stick with what you got..

But just maybe you can get someone to make some shims/adpters so you can still use them. Just need to sure thay can be adapted ?. I guess @SCARR may know & could easily make it.

Wilhelm

I'm here for the sick'n twisted company
Yearly GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the Stihl grinder wheels have a smaller bore than Oregon wheels You can make an adapter to utilize the Oregon wheels on a Stihl grinder!

My custom made Maxx wheel adapters and "centering" shims.
IMG_20241013_141047.jpg

mrxlh

AYFSMRN
Local time
4:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Super Jolly is probably the best bang for the buck. I understand what you are saying about the slop, however I use it to my advantage on the LH cutters to remove the burr. I’m running all CBN wheels as well, (even raker wheel) using Kevin’s at Denny’s GTG this year sold me on the SJ and CBN.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks guys. The wheels aren’t a big deal. I can give them to another WMA or whatever.

So the Tecomec Super Jolly is very similar to the Oregon I have? I don’t have the bottom tier one, but it isn’t the top one either.

I’m going to check with my dealer and see what a Stihl grinder will run me. Then make my decision.

I was looking at Baileys and saw the T&S grinders…..they sure are proud of those!

el33t

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So the Tecomec Super Jolly is very similar to the Oregon I have? I don’t have the bottom tier one, but it isn’t the top one either.

Oregon 620 is a Tecomec Super Jolly. It is a grinder with a hydraulic clamp. It is made in Italy, unlike some of the other models, which are from China. On Amazon (USA), one costs $500 at the moment, the other $400.

I would still check whether in your grinder there are definitely damaged windings in the motor, because it may be enough to replace the capacitor, which is cheap and easy. Capacitors in my experience last 15-25 years.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Oregon 620 is a Tecomec Super Jolly. It is a grinder with a hydraulic clamp. It is made in Italy, unlike some of the other models, which are from China. On Amazon (USA), one costs $500 at the moment, the other $400.

I would still check whether in your grinder there are definitely damaged windings in the motor, because it may be enough to replace the capacitor, which is cheap and easy. Capacitors in my experience last 15-25 years.
Well, I was looking at the parts diagram and noticed it has a capacitor. I’m going to check everything or take it to a local motor shop first.