mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got a lot of logs to cut up for firewood by myself. Can anyone recommend a log lifter to purchase.

brushwacker

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the big one in all steel from Bailey's. Cant hook + the peavy point or whatever its called , and a log lift which i haven't used the whole 10 years + I owned it. It works rolling logs fantastic but is heavy toting it around. I believe the aluminum version would have suited me much better. Logrite I believe it's called. I might like the lift if i tried it, but i don't like the idea of making it heavier yet. Happy rolling the logs over if i need to to keep out of the dirt. If 2 people were working together, 1 on the saw and the other on the lift I see an advantage. Other wise I think you will loose time and work harder doing much switching from saw to lift. Most the time i cut until i feel the softer, outer layer of wood on the bottom (bore if need be to keep from pinching or use a plastic wedge) at the bottom slow down and feather the throttle until you see or feel it cutting the usually darker bark , stop and if you cut all the way through it shouldn't take more then minor persuasion with a push or wiggle with a choice tool, can't hook or peavy probably the best for big stuff unless you have and prefer big machinery. I also have an old small wood handle can't hook if doing primarily smaller logs. If they are pushed in the ground, turning them is best and finish the cut from the inside to out to avoid pulling dirt into the chain.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok thank you guys very much for the info. I will take yalls advice and forget about the log lift.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
1:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Grapple on tractor or skid steer. I use a set of heavy (home made) clamp on forks attached to front bucket.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You guys a Funny and not funny smelling:aaaaa:

Roadfxr

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
12:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
0fc838996ebfa26432fca018b2c6b670.jpeg

Single best attachment I’ve ever bought.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
12:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Only problem there, is I have seen a tractor with a snapped front axle. Those skid steer units have crazy lifting power, just don't flip them over.

You definitely need to be careful with some of these tractors. I've see a few manufacturers have loaders that don't have subframes or have a lift capacity higher than the front axle. You will either split the trans case or snap the axle housing for sure.