Hyway 357xp P/C Kit Piston Issue

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not sure how common this may be with these pistons (in a kit or not) but thought it worth mentioning since it could result in a major problem if not detected. A few pics included to illustrate and provide a heads up.

OEM, Meteor, and Hyway. OEM and Meteor are nearly identical. Hyway has much more mass to the casting..., enough so in my case that it actually makes contact with the crank lobes and is unusable without some significant grinding. All in all a pretty lousy copy. Not even close, really. If the cylinder itself wouldn't have been so nice the kit woulda been returned. (And yeah, those thread flakes got cleaned up in the case shot.)

Anyway, forewarned is forearmed. Some of this stuff from Hyway is becoming inexcusable.

1019171513_resized.jpg

1019171514a_resized.jpg

1019171514b_resized.jpg

1019171552_resized.jpg

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dang.

I really lucked out with Hyway stuff before (2013 Stihl kits) so this is discouraging.

sunfish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Looks like the Hyway would be significantly heavier also. Not good!.

Angelr

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The parts received from hyway in my case have been acceptable, the cylinders mostly have a good plating and bevelling, I must mention a cylinder of stihl 026 for a long time that was quite deficient, never came close to power to a meteor, even using an original mahle piston. The hyway pistons for me are pretty poor, even some do not fit well, I use meteor. I do not like segments either. I must admit that the cylinders mostly have a good finish and good finish. That is my experience