Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Afternoon Gents,

I have a Prince Auto-Cycle valve on my log-splitter. The issue I'm having recently is that the handle for the forward stroke doesn't want to move freely. It will reach the end of the stroke and then it tries to kick back to neutral, but because it is a little stiff it just kinda gets stuck between engaged and neutral. I honestly know jack chit about hydraulics, so I'm hoping for a little guidance here. I tried lubricating the exposed and moving parts of the valve, with no luck, so I imagine it's something internal, but again I really know nothing. Do I need to take it apart and clean it? Is that something a hack like me should even consider trying? For context, this splitter is about 5 years old, has the original fluid and filter, but only has maybe 100-200 hours on it. It does live outside. I greatly appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Afternoon Gents,

I have a Prince Auto-Cycle valve on my log-splitter. The issue I'm having recently is that the handle for the forward stroke doesn't want to move freely. It will reach the end of the stroke and then it tries to kick back to neutral, but because it is a little stiff it just kinda gets stuck between engaged and neutral. I honestly know jack chit about hydraulics, so I'm hoping for a little guidance here. I tried lubricating the exposed and moving parts of the valve, with no luck, so I imagine it's something internal, but again I really know nothing. Do I need to take it apart and clean it? Is that something a hack like me should even consider trying? For context, this splitter is about 5 years old, has the original fluid and filter, but only has maybe 100-200 hours on it. It does live outside. I greatly appreciate any thoughts on the subject.

Thanks!
Did you try adjusting the detent at all? It is probably the valve itself but it’s worth a look in there.
I’d also replace the fluid and filter, but that’s not causing your issue.
I have two of these valves for my splitter. I’ve replaced a couple detent cartridges and have the other valve as a spare. I like em a lot despite sometimes being finicky.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
5:04 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Did you try adjusting the detent at all? It is probably the valve itself but it’s worth a look in there.
I’d also replace the fluid and filter, but that’s not causing your issue.
I have two of these valves for my splitter. I’ve replaced a couple detent cartridges and have the other valve as a spare. I like em a lot despite sometimes being finicky.

Thanks for the reminder to update this thread. My buddy Cory was out the day after these problems and we tackled the valve. I had tried adjusting the detents. Actually the tractor I run this splitter on is a little underpowered for this application so it has a pretty narrow range of adjustments, and I have to adjust the valves a couple times as the fluid warms up. Sorry for the sideways picture, but I did manage to circle the source of the problem. I was expecting it to be elsewhere, but the surface of 18 that slides on the screw, number 20 was slightly corroded and didn't slide smoothly on the shaft. We didn't figure it out until the sec0nd or third try, but now it snaps back out of detent with vigor.Screen Shot 2021-07-15 at 9.43.28 PM.png