High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Huztl MS361 kit warnings? Potential Gotchas?

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
For better or for worse, I swallowed hard at paying for the apparently pretty nice seat onna plane for a saw kit for myself to play with.

Already have a Stihl 026, and Stihl 461, so figure the 361 would fit in between them sorta OK.

Ordered a cheap 25 inch bar and a couple chains, to go with, as well as a big bore P&C set for an extra $10, because, well... $10... Makes a swell Christmas gift if required, too! Sowing the seeds of confusion, etc... :)

Anyways, some of all y'all must have been down this road. What say?

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I know of one gent for sure still having issues with his. I don’t know the full extent but it’s been months. Most still end up replacing stuff with OEM stuff. For the money you just have to put it in perspective I guess for what it is. Don’t have my own experience so I guess I have no real say. But what I’ve read from others has kept me back. But it’s a great deal

D B Cooper

44:1 Bel-Ray MC1
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Lap the flywheel to the crank the tapers not perfect. Had a problem with the carb seal to intake boot.
The metal ring around the boot had some stamping flash that needed stoned off. took about .010 off it.
That's about all problems i ran into on that kit.

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I put two 361 together. Some incorrect parts and the carbs are a crap shoot.

All in all a rewarding project.[emoji106]

schmidteo

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I built one and it is a fun project. I used better rings and Stihl fuel and impulse lines. Ended up putting a used oem carb on it. I did have trouble with the flywheel, but after getting it lapped in, no trouble. I think it ended up with a bit of timing advance because it rips pretty good (with the muffler opened up). Gave it to a neighbor with a tree service to see how it holds up and it has been holding up great.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well gents, thanks, I appreciate the feedback.

Figure at worst, it's still cheaper than the pig inna poke used saws that I see advertised. I have a dealer in town that has been pretty decent about parts availability, so I shall have to see what it all looks like.

I have a lathe and mill here in my basement, so making some minor mods or parts like spacers, etc., is well within my capabilities.

Should be a fun winter project.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Watch for excessive lateral needle cage slop between the wrist pin bosses on those.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Watch for excessive lateral needle cage slop between the wrist pin bosses on those.

Anything that can be done about it if so found? Teflon Spacer, maybe? Have done similar bodges on model airplane engines to good effect.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sent mine (the piston only) back for a refund and bought a Meteor. The cylinder was usable.

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just now checked out of curiosity and I'm surprised these are still available at the price. I've also used one of these. Very nice kit and highly recommended. Piston skirts needed some minor touch up due to minimal overflash. Also looked real nasty in general at first until I realized it had a Teflon coating. Otherwise blows the Hyway kit away, imho.

http://www.hlsproparts.com/Tecomec-Stihl-MS361-cylinder-and-piston-kit-p/570005-tec.htm

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, my stuff arrived in today's mail.
Looks pretty good, so far, but I really have not dug all the stuff outta the bags.

A quick look over the crankcase halves shows a few dents where I can live with them, some rough machining where it likely won't make much difference, and a bit of flash and sharp edges to deal with.

Looks pretty good, at far less than half what guys are asking for a used one with unknown issues to deal with.

Will report in with anything interesting, or just bore y'all with the details as I puzzle my way through this one.

Trev

a. palmer jr.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I'll continue to buy used saws and fix them up since you still have to buy OEM parts to finish the job right. I can buy a used Stihl a lot cheaper than one of those kits cost. Of course I still have to pay attention to what I'm doing or I could end up with an expensive rebuild.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I think I'll continue to buy used saws and fix them up since you still have to buy OEM parts to finish the job right. I can buy a used Stihl a lot cheaper than one of those kits cost. Of course I still have to pay attention to what I'm doing or I could end up with an expensive rebuild.

Yeah, in a perfect world.

On the plus side, by doing it this way, I will actually know for sure how many Chinese parts are in the saw. Seeing the crap that shows on Craigslist and Kijiji, and at what prices, it's a real crap-shoot, literally!

$800 may look a decent price for a running 660, until you realize that you can buy the same kit as the seller is offering, for 300. Lucky if the OEM parts count doesn't end at the sticker they so artfully applied!

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, so far, it's all been pretty underwhelming. No mad panics, no major screwups (I tore the case gasket, patched it up with some 1184 Threebond), and discovered after the fact, that I had the big bore piston (48mm) instead of the 47mm installed. It came out of the box first, so it was unwrapped, so....

Anyways, so far the one minor hang up has been the case around where the brake band sits has a series of studs or nubs left, I presume, to support the brake band. The clutch that came in the kit rubs ever so slightly on the inner edge of the nubs . Will pull it apart tomorrow for a closer look, and probably touch the inner surface with a file to open up the clearance a bit rather than letting it eat it's own.

Some of the plastic had some sharp edges, easy enough to touch a flat smooth file to, and a couple pieces are a bit warpy, but overall, am pretty pleased. Might even get it fully assembled tomorrow. Or the next day. Maybe. :) Looks like I'll come out to the good for a few extra screws, and an extra wiring harness, as one came with the ignition, and one was already installed on the tank assy.

Not missing anything that I have noticed. Am using the IPL from here https://docs.google.com/viewerng/viewer?url=http://s.smaf-touseau.com/documents/ms361ms361c_275.pdf and checking the lengths of screws as I go along.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Awright, long time no news.

Saw is together, feels good cranking over, but... No fire inna de hole, boss!

Swapped off the supplied plug, installed an NGK, no change. Looks like a dud coil. Gonna hunt through the manual for the Stihl 361 and check out what they have to say about checking resistances, if anything, and root through my stuff to see if there is a likely candidate to steal off of for to check if the coil or the magnets are to blame, before plugging in to the money machine and buying an OEM coil here in town.

Anyone able to tell me if the coil of a 461 will bolt in, if only for a quick test? Or a 026's? Only other carcasses around here to pick over are an old 08Slow, and a really beat up 045.

Gotta go buy a OEM Decomp button anyways. Might even find something else i cn't live without, eh?

PogoInTheWoods

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure the plug lead is screwed into the coil completely (and also has continuity to the plug boot). Pull kill wire from the coil to test if it may be shorting to ground somehow. Make sure the plug boot sits far enough down on the plug for the lead to make a good connection. Try another plug.

1135-400-1300 is exclusive to the MS341/361. New OEM won't be cheap. Used may be reasonable if you're lucky shopping. Aftermarket modules can be had for 12 ~ 15 bux, but you already know how reliable they can be.

Trevj1

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Already pulled the ground lead, but have not checked continuity through the plug lead. Yet.

Have tried 3 different plugs all same results. One was pulled from my running 461.

Will weigh in on the OEM part price at the local dealer and see what he wants. Might trade price for speedy access, or might just order a couple aftermarket ones in and roll them dice.

On the up side it sounds like I may have inherited another 461, and a Husky 372 that needs a top end done. My first Husky saw! I feel dirty! :) LOL!

thesawincanada

For the love of saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I’m having a hell of a time with huztl cyst service two weeks now. I ordered a complete saw it came damaged. They are not helping me at all. I’ve sent them pictures of the box and damages.

J_M____

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just say you will go to PayPal if it’s not corrected. (I hope you used PayPal for the purchase) they will fix it then under threat of having the entire purchase refunded.