Husqvarna OE 346xp help

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I recently picked up a 2002 model 346xp. The saw had been sitting for several years. It had the plastic intake clamp so i took the cylinder/intake apart to upgrade to metal prior to running. After that it fired right up and runs good.

The problem I'm having is with carb adjustment. It has Zama C3 EL-18. Everything I can find says factory settings are 1 turn for both low and high. I am at about 400' elevation so normally factory settings are pretty close. It was running very lean at 1 turn on high so I started backing out the high jet. I ended up at just over 3 turns out before it was wasn't racing but still barely able to get a faint 4 stroke and plug looks barely safe. I thought it must have an air leak and I suspected crank seals since I hadn't replaced them or vac tested yet. I just vac and pressure tested it and it's rock solid with no leak down. I took the carb apart and can't find anything unusual.

Should I worry that carb is so far off from factory specs? Any ideas? Thanks.

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the replies. I ordered a carb kit earlier today so will rebuild that once it arrives. Hard to tell by looking but I was surprised that carb was spotless and diaphragm was still soft. I have not replaced the fuel line so I will add that to the list.

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I replaced the base gasket, plastic clamp/partion wall, impulse line and plastic carb mount. I will rebuild current carb and replace fuel line next.

I have read about upgrading to 357 carb but want to run it stock first to get a good comparison. I almost bought a 346 new in 2004 but bought the 357 instead and it was my one and only saw for years before this forum and CAD hit. I love the 357 and can't wait to get this 346 going.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
8:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had one of these that was tired, scored a bit, and hard starting and an OE 346 w/ 45cc top end. Muffler was in bad shape and bolts broke off in cylinder -- was going to clean up cylinder, but kicked it to the curb. Got a new OEM 50 CC piston/cylinder kit and installed w/ no base gasket. Replaced intake boot, impulse line, fuel line, filter, OEM new muffler. Seals/bearings fine, and got a new knockoff Zama EL42 for like $15 or whatever -- it was OK but warm starts were finicky.

Got a brand new genuine C3-EL18B Zama carb for about $30. Pre-trimmed the limiter stops. Saw a tech bulletin that this carb superseded the EL-42 for "restart issues".

Set it up 1 turn out each to start -- I'm at 300' above sea level elevation. Saw runs really well at 1 and 1 -- was rich (turned 12,500 or so) and ran a few tanks through for break in. Then at a tree job one day dialed in L and set the H by ear and conservative (like 13,500 or something on tach). Transition is great -- accelerates quick.

Been running it for over a year now at tree jobs -- after break in the saw it is STRONG and it's a goto saw for limbing and bucket work. (we have 2 x 346 OE w/ NE top ends that get a lot of use).

It sounds like the other carbs are great, I'm just sharing I've had great success with the genuine Zama C3-EL18B and about $30 for the carb didn't have to spend major dollars. Saw is very close at 1 turn out each on the needles. Hope you get it sorted!

Videos -- started at 1 1/4 turn on each needle actually as I mention in the video. After the rebuild:

Chunking when getting some tanks through after rebuild:

Since the video above the saw rips.

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the info on your saw and EL18 experience. This one starts fine warm or hot and runs good. Just way off on turns on the H. I'll report back after getting it rebuilt. Looking forward to running this saw. Thanks!

brox

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update from the weekend - I got the carb rebuilt and replaced the fuel line and filter and saw runs great. H jet is back where it should be and responds to adjustments like it should. Thanks for the help!

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Update from the weekend - I got the carb rebuilt and replaced the fuel line and filter and saw runs great. H jet is back where it should be and responds to adjustments like it should. Thanks for the help!
Nothing like a proper running 346!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

ABarrick

TacomaTRD98 on AS
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nothing wrong with an el18 imho. Been running one for years on a modded 350. But, my carb of choice for these saws is the el32 that comes on the NE models. Best overall performance to me. The bigger carbs (el42,walbro 191/198/199) give a little gain but I think the saws have better manners with the el32.

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Greg Newman

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have Zama EL18 on my ported 346. If I can’t find a Walbro 199 to use what is the next best carb to run for performance?

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My EL18 couldn’t keep up with my ported 346. The builder installed an EL42 and it ran so much better. I’ve only had one HDA199 that ran really good, all of the time. I just have not had any luck with the four that I’ve owned, even with the mod.

The last 42 I bought was only like $32 on eBay. It was new and not aftermarket.

Edited

Last edited:

dustinwilt68

Wilt Built Work Saws
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
El 42 is really well mannered, I had one on a ported 346 and loved it, recently sold that one too a friend and put a 198 on cause my dealer had that in stock, same performance to me, but I can't say how the 198 will hold a tune yet.