Husqvarna 44 refresh - tank vent doo hickey and more

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 1983 manufactured Husqvarna 44 that I have had since new. Its never been used all that much so its in great shape, but I think the rubber parts of the fuel system need to be replaced along with a carb rebuild. Its started running a little lumpy at idle and rather than run it until I kill it, I’ll fix it.

I have found the carb kit, fuel line and filter. The vent line is a little hard but probably still usable. The vent part inside the tank is just a melted blob. My search so far shows this to be no longer available. Is there a replacement or substitute part?

Is the above pretty much what I should replace or should I go further?

Thanks in advance for your help, and if anyone has suggestions or tips on this subject please post up.

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks.
I’m wondering what part goes inside the tank. I have the hose and it runs over the carb and vents into the air filter cover.

I can see that there could be nothing but an open line as its routed. It works that way now and does not leak when turned over. I guess I’m wondering what the factory part in the tank actually does. Is it a check valve of some kind?

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Let me ask a different way:

Do I need anything extending into the tank from the vent line? Whatever came in the saw is just a little black blob now. Do I even need to fix this? Or is it ok now?

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've never had a 44 but my guess is that piece is a check valve and if it's a melted blob I'd remove it. Do like smokey7 said and put an Echo style one on the outside end of the tube.

4119ER9y97L._AC_SL1200_.jpg

Fishnuts2

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Look for a line fitting a 444. I was able to order a fuel pickup line for my old 140S from a 444 and it fit perfectly. I think they all share the same chassis and can swap some parts.

huskyhank

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks Gents.
I’m starting to get it that whatever Husky put in the tank may not be needed. All it does is let air in and out and maybe not too much fuel in and out.