High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husqvarna 357xp build, auto decomp removal

Swedish_445

Saw Addict
Local time
3:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just recieved 357 from a buddy to clean and tune. Planning to open muffler for him and replace intake clamp with metal, possibly 372 intake clamp. This saw has the auto decompression valve and wondering if anyone has deleted this on a 357xp and if they were pleased with result.. ive plugged most the decomp valves on all my saws including the auto decomp on my 338xpt. Just looking for experienced opinions with the 357 removal/success...

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just recieved 357 from a buddy to clean and tune. Planning to open muffler for him and replace intake clamp with metal, possibly 372 intake clamp. This saw has the auto decompression valve and wondering if anyone has deleted this on a 357xp and if they were pleased with result.. ive plugged most the decomp valves on all my saws including the auto decomp on my 338xpt. Just looking for experienced opinions with the 357 removal/success...
I had a 357 that came in with a scored top end and piston... It was of the age that used the auto de comp and the unit "Appeared" ! to be at fault after testing for vac and pressure . I used a Meteor top end and put a genuine Husqvarna manual de comp in it. I would replace with a manual OEM de comp ... if.. you change things rather than a plug personally and blank off the feed from the case.

Last edited:

Swedish_445

Saw Addict
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have yet to run compression and pressure tests, but the ole carb cleaner trick showed no signs of leaks. Thats a good lesson, knowing the decomp may have led to total failure. I suppose i plug them, because i typically never use them. I do have a 288 which im considering reinstalling an oem decomp. Im Lucky it only takes a few pulls because cranking it over is a chore. Are the higher compression 357's hard pullers? Unfortunately, this is my first time laying hands on one.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have yet to run compression and pressure tests, but the ole carb cleaner trick showed no signs of leaks. Thats a good lesson, knowing the decomp may have led to total failure. I suppose i plug them, because i typically never use them. I do have a 288 which im considering reinstalling an oem decomp. Im Lucky it only takes a few pulls because cranking it over is a chore. Are the higher compression 357's hard pullers? Unfortunately, this is my first time laying hands on one.
I personally like having a de comp ..available.. to use if the maker fitted one from factory. The auto one is going to be worse than a manual one.. if it is not closing off right.. as it allows a air leak in two places (and the pipe link can fail i suppose ) . Most healthy 357 xp saws that i have put a comp tester on have been 165-180psi so having a manual de comp can help also taking some forces off the pull start components. I give de comps a twist now and again when tight closed to help keep the seat clean.

Last edited:

P.M.P.

Stiff Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ive got a couple 357's one had the auto decomp which I changed over to a regular.
Heres the husky part numbers for what I used # 53780001 protective cap and #537320901 clamp then threw a plug in it.

Swedish_445

Saw Addict
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Owner wants the manual decomp also so that settles that.. im excited to finally dig into one of these 357's. Ole boy wants a bit more power out of her, so I gave him some options, but plan to start with muffler mod and see how he likes it.. if it were up to me, id just do the muffler, remove base gasket, mild port and timing adjustment. We'll see how far he eventually wants to go with it. He was debating on scooping up a new 372. Dont get me wrong, i think everyone should own a 372, but i like proving to ppl how much untapped power these little huskies have. the smiles they bring are also a major reward.

Swedish_445

Saw Addict
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20170505_165636.jpg

Wouldn't ya know it.. obvious leak at the decomp hose. I just picked up a manual valve at the local dealer. They werent very fond of the auto decompression system either! Rubber caps will be on order soon aswell.

Termitebuffet

Home of the corn can muffler .....
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I use small sheet metal screw w/JB weld to close off the fitting by the cyl. base.
Shep
I tapped that hole and used a set screw with loctite
e29aea7eddaf836233f1074e0f6d9d6f.jpg

Swedish_445

Saw Addict
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
20170513_134157.jpg
20170513_142517.jpg
Here is where we're at.. im probably the slowest builder here, but have been finishing up an 041fb. Made my own clutch removal tool, and checked timing with and without base gasket. Ive started with raising and widening the exhaust a bit and will match transfers to case. Think i may just smooth intake and upper transfers. Transfers on my cp 55 took me a while and can also be difficult while chasing my 1year old around the garage!

Ive also been working out details with the mm. I had a deflector and screen off god knows what laying around and with a little grinding, will be muffler port #2.. im just using the original muffler and plan to drill a few more 1/2in holes through the baffle and add my second port just behind the baffle.. any wise opinions on this are welcome! I typically just open the existing port.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 70245
View attachment 70248
Here is where we're at.. im probably the slowest builder here, but have been finishing up an 041fb. Made my own clutch removal tool, and checked timing with and without base gasket. Ive started with raising and widening the exhaust a bit and will match transfers to case. Think i may just smooth intake and upper transfers. Transfers on my cp 55 took me a while and can also be difficult while chasing my 1year old around the garage!

Ive also been working out details with the mm. I had a deflector and screen off god knows what laying around and with a little grinding, will be muffler port #2.. im just using the original muffler and plan to drill a few more 1/2in holes through the baffle and add my second port just behind the baffle.. any wise opinions on this are welcome! I typically just open the existing port.
Some more info on that tool you made for the clutch removal would be good ...looks interesting.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I personally like having a manual de comp on any saw 50cc or bigger it does help save on recoil parts and after a saw sits for a while or run dry on fuel

Swedish_445

Saw Addict
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Happens to be a 26mm socket i used for the clutch tool. Last of the parts should be in late this week. Ive resorted to ordering all oem parts through my local dealer.. my online goto for husky parts has really failed me lately!
I finished my dual port muffler and cylinder work this evening.. ended up grinding more than originally planned, but i kept my timing numbers somewhat modest. I also plugged the decomp fitting at the transfer with set screw per termite's suggestion, Pretty slick!
I may have a difficult time giving this one back once its done.. although, im sure ill have a 357 in my collection before long..
20170530_204826.jpg 20170530_211817.jpg 20170530_204956.jpg
20170522_210051.jpg 20170530_211839.jpg

Last edited: