High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husqvarna 266xp crankshaft taper issues??????

force10powertools

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Hello Folks

Firstly, Nice to meet you all and apologies for being the new guy who comes crashing in on your forum with a tech question.

So, picture the scene, you're a power tool repair guy by day and saw collecter by night. One of your friends see's you working on a saw one day and asks if you can teach him how to build one? I figure, yeah why not, i've got plenty of parts saws knocking about, it'll be a few evenings of fun and he'll end up with a saw that hopefully will get him into a hobby. So off to the parts pile i go, have a rummage around and come back with a husky 266xp thats totally worn out but in fairly good shape. I like this family of saws, i have a 61, 266se, 268, a jonsered 625, 630 west coast and 670 champ, and a 268k stone saw all of which i've built or done major work on so i'm fairly familiar with these models.

So i've put the kettle on and we've set to work pulling the saw apart and making a list of what we need, i had most of it in stock but we still needed a crankshaft. My usual parts supplier sold me their last 3 cranks a few months back, they fitted fine and went in the 625, the 268k and a customers 266.
I ended up buying a crank from ebay, quality wasn't the best i'd seen but this saw's only really a teaching excersise so we fitted it anyway, got the engine built up and ready to put the flywheel on and then it cot confusing!

The flywheel taper on the new crank is way too small for our flywheel! Now i know there are 2 types of crank, one with a coarse thread for the clutch and one with the fine thread, this is the only difference im aware of though. I whipped the covers off of a few of my saws and measured the shaft sizes, all of my 2 series stuff has the same size taper as the original. I put this down to it being a pattern part and considdered it a lesson learnt. got a refund, stripped the saw down and started looking for another crank, asked my usual parts people and they had a look about and found a supplier that does them, got one to me, just for me to find out its the same as the last one only nicer quality.

This has got me questioning myself, is there a change in model year somewhere that i dont know about? or is somewhere making pattern cranks with the wrong taper?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Matt
Good to see someone else from the UK and in the same day /night time :D
Had a look on IPL (you have as well i guess) and the cranks across the 266 se...266xp's seem to be the same but the flywheels seem to have some different part numbers.Guess establishing a "Known" control.. crank V flywheel.. could get you there ...Could show that the saw has a different crank in it and the flywheel is to fit that rather than what you assume is in the saw. Hope that isn't to basic a bit of advice as your in the game.
Simon

force10powertools

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Simon, nice to meet you man.

Yeah the different part no's are due to single or two piece ignitions and the sg had the heater generator coil, all 3 of which had a different flywheel.

I whipped my identical running 266 apart earlier and its got the same flywheel so i'm fairly convinced its the new parts that're wrong. i tried the same companys that i bought the cranks from to see if they do a flywheel to match it. they dont.

I'm stumped! i'm hesitant to fit a used crank unless i removed it myself, i bought one once that was quite clearly removed with a big hammer. not cool.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Hi Simon, nice to meet you man.

Yeah the different part no's are due to single or two piece ignitions and the sg had the heater generator coil, all 3 of which had a different flywheel.

I whipped my identical running 266 apart earlier and its got the same flywheel so i'm fairly convinced its the new parts that're wrong. i tried the same companys that i bought the cranks from to see if they do a flywheel to match it. they dont.

I'm stumped! i'm hesitant to fit a used crank unless i removed it myself, i bought one once that was quite clearly removed with a big hammer. not cool.
The timming would have it that iv in the last week taken in a 266 se (a pic or 2 under the 200 series thread) , strong saw ! Wasn't sure if as you say the G models were the only reason for the part no differences.
Edit: Lost int connection during post.
Odd to get 2 cranks that are wrong ! hence the question in my mind as to the crank in the saw you have . I notice there is a 266 se on Ebay (powerhead only) ..Parts saw for your project?? looks ok.

Last edited:

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
7:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking your am crank is for a cast-in-place flywheel key. It's the newer style. And your flywheel is for use with a separate woodruff key. Timing-wise, you'd have to have the newer style flywheel, as they aren't keyed to the same degree. But I don't know if your older ignition system is compatible with the newer style flywheel or not. @bplust will possibly know

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The older ignition is not compatible with the newer flywheel.

For the older ignition, you need 501 52 52-02.

If you need any parts for your saw, send me a PM.

Bryan

force10powertools

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I had no idea they went over to the cast in type of key, when did this happen?
Every day's a school day eh?

Bryan, I've bought some bits from you once in the past, you helped save a jonsered 630 and a little poulan from the parts pile. Dont suppose you've got a crank have you?

cheers

Matt

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I do, send me a pm please.

Bryan

force10powertools

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Bryan, Sorry to mess you about pal its all sorted now, I found a good crank in a 268k that was lurking in the corner.

Cheers for your help.

Matt

bplust

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
You are welcome,

Bryan

Stackowood

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm thinking your am crank is for a cast-in-place flywheel key. It's the newer style. And your flywheel is for use with a separate woodruff key. Timing-wise, you'd have to have the newer style flywheel, as they aren't keyed to the same degree. But I don't know if your older ignition system is compatible with the newer style flywheel or not. @bplust will possibly know
This is correct - the taper changed when they went to a key that is cast in the fwhl. Also there were two different cranks that used the separate key, around 1991, 1992. I can dig up all the part numbers if needed.