Husqvarna 266SE question

jjdlc

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:42 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Picked up this beauty :risas3: from a buddy yesterday, along with a running weed eater for $25. I'll sell the weed eater and get my money back. Anyway, started tearing the saw down to see what I had, it was completely full of mud dober nests, but anyway...

IMG_6058.JPG IMG_6059.JPG

I haven't had a lot of opportunity as yet to work on saws this old. Trying to figure out if it is worth fixing, or parting out. I pulled the carb, to get the model number so I could tear it apart and see what condition it was in, and get a kit ordered if I decide to go that route. Under the carb is this...

Bellows.jpg

At first I thought it was just a rubber stand off for the carburetor, but I noticed it sits perfectly under the hole in the diaphragm cover on the carb. My next thought was that it was an impulse line, but I noticed the carb looks to have an impulse port through the intake manifold. I found the parts diagram for the saw and it lists the part as a "rubber bellows". I found a source for the part and it isn't expensive, but looking at it, it may require splitting the case to repair. I don't really have the tools to do that properly, and I'm always worried that I'll just end up creating a leak I can't fix if I try to rig something.

So, what is the purpose of that part, and does it require splitting the case to replace?

Attachments

• IMG_6060.JPG
    IMG_6060.JPG
    165.5 KB · Views: 28

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The little rubber doughnut under the carb is to seal off the carb box which is under a vacuum and gets it to outside air which is better for the diaphragm to operate. It will just pop in and out of there, no need to split cases.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The little rubber doughnut under the carb is to seal off the carb box which is under a vacuum and gets it to outside air which is better for the diaphragm to operate. It will just pop in and out of there, no need to split cases.

Thanks Steve.

jjdlc

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Awesome, thanks!

The saw blows 145 on compression test, and has good spark, the carb doesn't look bad either, doesn't appear to have been left sitting with gas in it. So with that news I think I'll rebuild it instead of parting it out.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely rebuild it, 266's are awesome saws. The compression while enough to run, tells me that the ring is wore or the piston is scored or something. Usually they will pull 185 psi stock. If needed Meteor makes a great piston that will improve performance a bit.

Last edited:

jjdlc

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Definitely rebuild it, 266's are awesome saws. The compression while enough to run, tells me that the ring is wore or the piston is scored or something. Usually they will pull 185 psi stock. If needed Meteor makes a great piston that will improve performance a bit.

Yeah, I didn't have a lot of time this weekend but I pulled the muffler for a quick look, and from that angle I didnt see any scoring, but of course I won't know for sure till I get time to tear it all the way down.