Husqvarna 262 rebuild

TheDarkLordChinChin

My name Borat, I like you
Local time
11:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought a husqvarna 262 today off an old boy up the country.
It's rough but it fires up.
Hoping to do it up and sell it on.

Immediate issues seem to be no air filter and a busted up handlebar .

Looking on ebay there are no handlebars specifically for 262's, would something for a 266 or 362 do the job?

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
6:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bought a husqvarna 262 today off an old boy up the country.
It's rough but it fires up.
Hoping to do it up and sell it on.

Immediate issues seem to be no air filter and a busted up handlebar .

Looking on ebay there are no handlebars specifically for 262's, would something for a 266 or 362 do the job?
Nope and nope.
(But, nothing is impossible haha)

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_9202.JPG IMG_9201.JPG
I could be wrong but doesn't a 55 handle fit a 262?
I will say yes. Also 261, 257, 254 should work. Going to garage to see if I have one. But then again I made a 572 handle work on a 372, bend here, drill there., it works and looks ok. One I have is cracked at bottom hole, same as 55 I am rebuilding.

Last edited:

CJ Brown

I learned it from a hockey card...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I could be wrong but doesn't a 55 handle fit a 262?
It will bolt on, but it will sit lower over the top cover so there is less room for your fingers. 262 and 257 have taller top covers and take a taller front handle.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ended up having to buy a husqvarna 51 handle, couldnt get one specifically for 262.

Took the saw apart, carb was full of gunk so I ordered a rebuild kit.

I also ordered an air filter, felling spike, spark plug and trigger grip filler piece.

You can tell this saw was used by the Irish forestry service because there are no felling spikes, they always take them off so sitka spruce branches dont get caught in them and jam the chain when limbing.

TheDarkLordChinChin

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright, I have this saw nearly ready to go.

Cleaned out the carb, added new diaphragms and gaskets and found nearly all the parts I needed.

The only Issue I am having now is I can't seem to find gaskets for between the carb and the cylinder. Or rather, I can find gaskets but they have to come from America which means I will have to pay a lot to get them sent and then pay import duties.
I can however find gaskets for 254 and 257 models that are located within Europe. These look identical, does anyone know if they will fit?

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Alright, I have this saw nearly ready to go.

Cleaned out the carb, added new diaphragms and gaskets and found nearly all the parts I needed.

The only Issue I am having now is I can't seem to find gaskets for between the carb and the cylinder. Or rather, I can find gaskets but they have to come from America which means I will have to pay a lot to get them sent and then pay import duties.
I can however find gaskets for 254 and 257 models that are located within Europe. These look identical, does anyone know if they will fit?
Outer gasket is same part #503544401 between all three. Inner gasket shows different numbers, on all three, believe impulse holes are different. Had to cut my own gaskets for 592 before they became available, those should be easy to make. You have carb spacer block to trace off of.