davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I blew up the pulleys on my 346 and 2188. 346 starter would stick sometimes before it blew up. Both pulleys split in half either side of the rope groove. Theory is the line is too small dia and or too soft and upper wraps sink down between lower wraps, getting stuck if you’re lucky and blowing the pulley apart if you’re not. SO…larger harder dia rope? Wind the starter tighter? I’ve never investigated rope much, what’s out there?

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I always use the biggest rope that fits in the grove and pulley retainer area. And as far as spring tension I wind it so when you pull the rope all the way out you can still turn the pulley just a little bit if the spring maxes out before the rope it will tear the spring up every time you pull the rope too far

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
1:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In addition to the above maladies, the 3-series starter pulleys that get worn can get caught in the pawls when running and explode, taking out other parts with it like wires, air foil and starter housings etc.. Always replace a pulley in suspect when servicing. There're two schools of thought when servicing as well, to lube or not to lube the pulley axle. I prefer to lube as the other theory is the lube will attract dirt. I have seen plenty without go bad, so I like to lube with a sticky grease and a light oil on the spring to keep it from rusting and take my chances that way.