High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husky 550xp 545 w/ complete 562xp Intake & Carb

Filbertlogger85

New OPE Member
Local time
5:17 PM
User ID
Reaction score
So everything mostly lines up and most importantly, the locating pins on the 562 intake(Inlet pipe) line up on a 550xp cylinder. I ordered a new 545 since I can't have my 550xp apart during the winter. I also order the following items:

562XP:
Inlet Pipe 520291001
AT55a Carburetor (replaces EL48) from H&L Supply
Flange 505165201
Filter Holder Assembly 505127003 swapped over the switch & air purge hardware from 545

550XP:
Intermediate Wall 522951001

560XP:
Air Filter 505126306
Does your 545 have decompression valve? I have a 545 mark ll and I’m wanting to do some mods to it but I’m all new to modifying saws just been using them a long time. So I’m kinda clueless on something’s. I’m what you’d mechanically inclined but far from being a mechanic.

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does your 545 have decompression valve? I have a 545 mark ll and I’m wanting to do some mods to it but I’m all new to modifying saws just been using them a long time. So I’m kinda clueless on something’s. I’m what you’d mechanically inclined but far from being a mechanic.

This one does have the decomp on it because it has a lot more compression than stock. I have yet to use it and am going to plug it like I do all my 5 series saw.

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Filbertlogger85

In some ways, your already ahead since yours is the Mark II: more grunt, latest Gen3 Autotune, and better filter setup. What I'm essentially doing is trying to recreate the MK II on the smaller and lighter MK I platform. The MK II might just need a thinner base gasket and a muffler mod.

Having used a stock 550xp for 5 years, I consider it nothing more than a glorified limbing saw. This is a complete solution down to the stump saw. Here is a Red Oak that I dropped yesterday and I never felt like I needed a bigger saw( trimmed up the butt because I'm cutting it into boards.)

IMG_20200220_111616425.jpg

Filbertlogger85

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
@Filbertlogger85

In some ways, your already ahead since yours is the Mark II: more grunt, latest Gen3 Autotune, and better filter setup. What I'm essentially doing is trying to recreate the MK II on the smaller and lighter MK I platform. The MK II might just need a thinner base gasket and a muffler mod.

Having used a stock 550xp for 5 years, I consider it nothing more than a glorified limbing saw. This is a complete solution down to the stump saw. Here is a Red Oak that I dropped yesterday and I never felt like I needed a bigger saw( trimmed up the butt because I'm cutting it into boards.)

View attachment 225847

Attachments

• 4FC2A8A5-53BD-40A5-9A57-269DC3E9B307.jpeg
    4FC2A8A5-53BD-40A5-9A57-269DC3E9B307.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 58

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, this is creative. Good job Flip. I hadn't noticed this thread what with the "distraction" we had going on here this week. I really gotta try this one. Have plenty of stuff lying around to do one of these. Mine will be on a 550 bottom end with the stuffers, cause that's what I have to work with.

Have you plugged it in to see how the fuel settings look?

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 545 & 562 look like they both use the same AutoTune module, I just swapped the 545 module onto the 562 carb.
View attachment 223593

Not really the same, but will interchange as you have done. Has to be done in fact as a 562 module could not be programed to work with the 545 ignition. There are no firmware files to allow for mixing carbs and ignitions from different models.

One question I'd have though is how much of the gains are the result of the carb swap and how much due to the other mods, cause they certainly are contributing to the increased performance.

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not really the same, but will interchange as you have done. Has to be done in fact as a 562 module could not be programed to work with the 545 ignition. There are no firmware files to allow for mixing carbs and ignitions from different models.

I was hoping you would reply to this thread. I have a million questions I would like to as a dealer about. I was just going on the assumption that the AT module had to correspond with only that models ignition module. Thank you for confirming that. You know if we had a "Saw College" video about this it would really help out those of use without dealer support.

RANT
I went to a dealer that can work on AT stuff and I bring this in. I buy a lot of my small engine items for the farm here so I'm not completely foreign to them. They quote me half hour labor($40 my cost) and at least 2 weeks to get it back. That's the only thing I don't like about autotune, no local support in this consumer saw market.

IMG_20200214_113820748.jpg

Last edited:

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
One question I'd have though is how much of the gains are the result of the carb swap and how much due to the other mods, cause they certainly are contributing to the increased performance.

I was planning on a step by step modification series but got excited and went full bore with the 545 right out of the box. Right now the 550xp with just the small muffler mod and thinner gasket is has noticeably less torque that the 545/562 setup. Be interesting to see what the 550 does with the larger components.

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was hoping you would reply to this thread. I have a million questions I would like to as a dealer about. I was just going on the assumption that the AT module had to correspond with only that models ignition module. Thank you for confirming that. You know if we had a "Saw College" video about this it would really help out those of use without dealer support.

RANT
I went to a dealer that can work on AT stuff and I bring this in. I buy a lot of my small engine items for the farm here so I'm not completely foreign to them. They quote me half hour labor($40 my cost) and at least 2 weeks to get it back. That's the only thing I don't like about autotune, no local support in this consumer saw market.

View attachment 226257

An AT plug in/update is less than a 5 minute job. Some dealers just can't see the big picture and look at every customer visit as an opportunity to drain their wallet. If they could get away with it, they'd sell PSL's like the sports teams do.

We tell people to bring their saws back in for a FREE update, (or adjustment for non AT saws), after they run a couple gallons of fuel through it and break it in just to make sure the settings are where they are supposed to be. 95% of the time they buy something while they are there. But the free adjustment is what generates that visit to the store. Cheaper than advertising. :)

Spike60

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was planning on a step by step modification series but got excited and went full bore with the 545 right out of the box. Right now the 550xp with just the small muffler mod and thinner gasket is has noticeably less torque that the 545/562 setup. Be interesting to see what the 550 does with the larger components.

This answers my other question, cause I had assumed you were comparing the 545 project to a stock 550. I did the thin gasket/muff mod/cut piston skirt build on a 550. Noticably stronger than stock, but your 545/562 recipe must knock it up the torque ladder a good bit more. I'm going have some fun with this. I'm on a bit of a small saw kick anyway right now so the timing is just right.

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This answers my other question, cause I had assumed you were comparing the 545 project to a stock 550. I did the thin gasket/muff mod/cut piston skirt build on a 550. Noticably stronger than stock, but your 545/562 recipe must knock it up the torque ladder a good bit more. I'm going have some fun with this. I'm on a bit of a small saw kick anyway right now so the timing is just right.

I was surprised how much of a difference the thinner gasket made. I think that is most of the gains since I only do two small holes on each side of the outlet for a muff mod.

In these big oak trees, the main difference is that I can dog the 545 in whereas the 550 has to self feed. Of course the oak trees are much more suited for 70 or 90cc saws but it's the only way I have to test torque. I think it could probably use a 555 clutch also. Seems like the clutch is engaging while it's still in the meat of the power now.

I'm looking forward to what you think. I'm a farmer so my free time/hobbies are about to get shelved until November.

Flip

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you plugged it in to see how the fuel settings look?

Is the CST a paperweight for a civilian like me? I would love to see the data for these saws and at the very least be able to do a master reset. I have run mostly my 550 & 562 the last couple of years as I really like the platform and will be the first to admit that I can't tune an engine better than a computer.

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
edit: this is just me being curious.
So please don't anyone tear something apart over it!

What's the venturi size of the AT55a?
I can't seem to find it on Zama site.
Zama does list the el48 as 12.5mm.
No surprise that the bores of the airheads (strato valve) aren't listed, just the part number

Last edited: