TomF

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
8:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Help: Can't get Husky 288xp to idle, replaced carb, replaced P/C, crankcase holds 7 psi vac and pressure, both carbs hold 7 psi vac and pressure. Linkage is not bent, all new top gaskets. new crank seal on clutch side, I'm stumped.
Thanks Tom

Tugg

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it start and throttle up normal? And just won’t idle. Is everything OEM or aftermarket?

TomF

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does it start and throttle up normal? And just won’t idle. Is everything OEM or aftermarket?
Yes, it starts normal, won't stay running below about 5k. The carb is oem carb rebuild kit is oem, also have an aftermarket carb that does the same thing, P/C Performance Saw from Lil Red Barn, coil is aftermarket, crank seals are oem

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
7:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Possible that it has a tight fitting piston and ring than usual, try getting it running in some wood if you can safely do so and get a little time on the motor to help break it in and see if this changes things.

TomF

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Possible that it has a tight fitting piston and ring than usual, try getting it running in some wood if you can safely do so and get a little time on the motor to help break it in and see if this changes things.
The piston and ring are new, if too tight would the compression also be high, maybe above 150 - 160? Thanks for the suggestions.
I see that you have over 1.3 million posts. VERY VERY VERY IMPRESSIVE.
tOM

TomF

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The piston and ring are new, if too tight would the compression also be high, maybe above 150 - 160? Thanks for the suggestions.
tOM

TomF

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Make sure the intake block spacer isn't cracked and that you are getting a good pulse signal to the carb, also make sure the fuel supply line isn't restricted somehow.
Also try a different sparkplug, a faulty plug will cause all kinds of symptoms.
New intake block came with aftermarket carb, using it and oem rebuilt very carefully rebuilt carb. Will swap out plug. Please advise how restricted fuel line would cause idle issues, thanks. Also if you would please tell me a blocked impulse passage would cause high rpms only? I am self taught and have much to learn so I am sincere because I just don't know and am not trying to be a smart a$$

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
tOM

Not necessarily, if it stops fast/hard this can be the case. It's hard to tell over the internet, just one issue I can think of looking at what you have done.

TomF

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Went outside and tried some of everyone's suggestions. Noted that it would keep running by pulling the choke, looks like restricted fuel line or bad filter, does this sound right?

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
5:29 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That sounds suspiciously like a blockage/restriction somewhere, my dad's jumping jack (uses a Tilly HS carb) did the exact same thing due to a pair of plugged fuel filters and my 026 did the same thing with a plugged screen in the carb.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had aftermarket gaskets that needed a hole punched in the impulse hole. This was on a 272. Assuming 288 have the impulse in the plastic block. Not sure how that would affect things but I knew a hole belonged there.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does the saw race after coming down or stutter out and die?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sounds like an impulse problem to me. On a lot of modern saws - the saw can pull enough air at mid-high range RPM to sustain running, but definitely needs
that impulse differential for smooth starting and idle.

Michael Rupley

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rebuild your carb again. This time take the welsh plugs out and put that carb body through a vibrionic. When you re-assemble, make sure the lever height is exact for your model of carb. Metering side gasket against the body. The pump side diaphragm against the body and then the basket. Although rare the high speed nozzle (jet) will sometimes be messed up and cause idle problems.
I know basic stuff but you would be surprised.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Vent the tank, (saw sideways) and run pressure tester on fuel line. If it tries to build pressure then bleeds off something is wrong. If it blows through like nothing is there then it should be okay. If that's the case then it will need to be determined if the carb is not giving fuel like it should, or it has an air leak somewhere.

Barn Shop

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
New intake block came with aftermarket carb, using it and oem rebuilt very carefully rebuilt carb. Will swap out plug. Please advise how restricted fuel line would cause idle issues, thanks. Also if you would please tell me a blocked impulse passage would cause high rpms only? I am self taught and have much to learn so I am sincere because I just don't know and am not trying to be a smart a$$

A restricted fuel supply will cause a lack of fuel supply, it sounds strange that it would hinder the idle but at a low rpm there may not be enough fuel pumped by the carb to support a good idle where as at a higher rpm there could be just enough fuel pulled to run. A strong impulse singal is needed to properly operate the pump side of the carb for the correct fuel supply, a weak signal will equal an inadequate fuel supply (flow) to support a good idle, at higher rpm's eventhough the signal is weak it may be able to overcome the supply issue that is being experienced at lower rpm's. Hope this helps.

..X..

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
you want to sell it?