High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How to test coils on a 288xp?

OnTheRoad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
So I have a 288xp lite that has no spark and I'm wondering how to test the pickup and the coil. The spark plug wire has been crushed and looks compromised. But how do I troubleshoot the two coils? I hooked my dmm to the two sides of the primary coil set on dcv and pulled the starter and got nothing.

On a related note, I need OEM parts to fix this problem. I'm selling this saw to a good friend who lives 2 doors down and is an arborist so this can't be some unreliable junk. Where do I get OEM parts or equivalent quality?

Cooper264

Well-Known OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
get parts from guys on here, a dealer, or ebay. Im a big fan of the bay but anyways.. If you've got a spare set of coil wires and another spark plug you could plug them up to your coil and test it out. Also If your friend doesn't want the saw I'de be more than happy to take it off your hands in whatever condition she's in;);)

OnTheRoad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The saw is beautiful low hour saw and I'm giving it away because my neighbor is a good friend and needs a big saw. I'm selling it with a 36" bar from a 460 I traded to (?) for a 550 where the 460 went to Randy. What I'm looking for is how to troubleshoot the components to determine what is bad. I'm pretty sure the primary coil is bad but how do I test it?

I'd rather test the parts instead of throwing parts at it. And if I have to get aftermarket parts, are any of them good? Are OEM parts available?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Husqvarna doesn't give any Primary or Secondary ohm values for testing. They say after checking all wiring and grounds and no spark persists, replace the firing coil first, then if no result the trigger module. That said, there should be some resistance to the primary and secondary sides. If either none or a 0.00 reading happen than the coil is broken or shorted. In my experienced opinion if one goes on these old saws, replace both as the other won't last but a short time and the saw will be back with a no spark condition again. The SEM units in these are fairly tough, grounding issues can plague the coil as well as wiring issues and should be thoroughly checked before purchasing new coils. Both are available from Husqvarna and I wouldn't recommend to get them anywhere else.

OnTheRoad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Husqvarna doesn't give any Primary or Secondary ohm values for testing. They say after checking all wiring and grounds and no spark persists, replace the firing coil first, then if no result the trigger module. That said, there should be some resistance to the primary and secondary sides. If either none or a 0.00 reading happen than the coil is broken or shorted. In my experienced opinion if one goes on these old saws, replace both as the other won't last but a short time and the saw will be back with a no spark condition again. The SEM units in these are fairly tough, grounding issues can plague the coil as well as wiring issues and should be thoroughly checked before purchasing new coils. Both are available from Husqvarna and I wouldn't recommend to get them anywhere else.

Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. The wiring is all in good shape and in the correct routing. I checked the coils just now and the primary reads OL while the secondary reads 1.5 ohm. Unfortunately the spark plug wire is crushed. I want the new owner to have a trouble free experience so I'll replace both with OEM coils.

Is $135 a fair price for the pair? Who on this site is a dealer that would sell them?

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you this is exactly what I was looking for. The wiring is all in good shape and in the correct routing. I checked the coils just now and the primary reads OL while the secondary reads 1.5 ohm. Unfortunately the spark plug wire is crushed. I want the new owner to have a trouble free experience so I'll replace both with OEM coils.

Is $135 a fair price for the pair? Who on this site is a dealer that would sell them?

@Gentleman

OnTheRoad

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
To give a final update, I replaced both coils with OEM parts and the saw usually starts first pull and runs great. It was hard starting before it quit running. I bought this from somebody on AS years ago and it quit running in maybe 10 minutes and has sat since.

I'm not sure what to do with it now. It's a dud compared to my MMWS 390xp so if I'm gonna use it a port job is in the cards. I'd like to do a little milling maybe it could do that.