Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
6:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually purchase 10 solid cubic meters of firewood logs annually, I need about 7 per season.
I am trying to get ahead a couple winters to allow the processed split wood to season better.
I mostly utilize turkey oak and I like it no less than two years seasoned.

If I where to sell fully processed bucked and split or partially processed firewood I wouldn't be able to get as much as I'd need to cover the demand.

No free firewood here whatsoever, firewood prices went up this year.

Ontario Firewood Resource

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
12:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I usually purchase 10 solid cubic meters of firewood logs annually, I need about 7 per season.
I am trying to get ahead a couple winters to allow the processed split wood to season better.
I mostly utilize turkey oak and I like it no less than two years seasoned.

If I where to sell fully processed bucked and split or partially processed firewood I wouldn't be able to get as much as I'd need to cover the demand.

No free firewood here whatsoever, firewood prices went up this year.
My city has plenty of trees that come down. I have more than enough customers and they use it for ambience for the most part. The most they will buy is a bush cord for the season and rarely someone will buy two bush cords. Most buy a face cord and a small percentage may call for a second, maybe even third order

j_kirk

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Around 10 cords of pinyon pine, some red juniper mixed in if its around the pile. Hoping to do more this season if i can get a hydraulic splitter

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I plan on 100 cord this year. 20 for home and 80 to sell. I keep bringing it home almost daily. Time to process it is another story. At least I bring it home in manageable sized pieces so it does get drying time before splitting. I can't keep up with splitting by hand. I should be getting a hydraulic log splitter in a few weeks.

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:15 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I plan on 100 cord this year. 20 for home and 80 to sell. I keep bringing it home almost daily. Time to process it is another story. At least I bring it home in manageable sized pieces so it does get drying time before splitting. I can't keep up with splitting by hand. I should be getting a hydraulic log splitter in a few weeks.
Sheesh, that's a bunch to split by hand. What kinda wood?

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sheesh, that's a bunch to split by hand. What kinda wood?
Oaks, Ash, Maples, Black Locust, Black Cherry, and some Hickory. I've got about 3-4 cord split. On a good note, I have 2 cords of limb wood. 3-5'' rounds that I just cut to length and throw in my personal use pile. So much work to do .... wood sheds need to be built, wood to split and stack, more wood to bring in .....at least it's free. Just moved in this place last Nov. 4500 sq ft thats heated only with wood. NOT complaining though. I like tending a stove ..... and the wood furnace.

motoOzarks

motoMonster
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
"I should be getting an employee in a few weeks" fixed it for you.........

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
"I should be getting an employee in a few weeks" fixed it for you.........
My wife's 19 yo kid refuses to do much of anything around the house for his free room and board.
If he wants to be warm this winter he'd better get to splittin.
FIFMyself.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is bush cord?

I’ve never heard of it either, Sounds Canuck.
Wikipedia to the rescue:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firewood

A full cord or bush cord has a volume of 128 cubic feet (3.6 m3), including wood, bark, and air space in a neatly stacked pile. ... A face cord or a rick is one third of a full or bush cord stack of wood that is 4 by 8 ft (1.22 by 2.44 m) by 16 in (41 cm) and has a volume of 42.6 cubic feet (1.21 m3).

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My wife's 19 yo kid refuses to do much of anything around the house for his free room and board.
If he wants to be warm this winter he'd better get to splittin.
FIFMyself.
I have no kids yet so I am not too qualified in regards of upbringing, but figuratively speaking You need to get him a kick in his behind and get him moving.

I see situations like Yours all around me, I have no understanding why the parents allow it/play along.

A coworker of mine is 30+, enjoys the warmth of a wood stove in his room but doesn't lift a finger to help out to process any firewood.
His dad does all the firewood processing year round and he has severe health issues (heart).
To my understanding his mom brings the firewood into his room too.
I told him a couple times "to grow up" which he took as an insult. Luckily for him he and his behavior is not my problem, he'd be in trouble otherwise.
He is a media addict, YouTube, Facebook, Instagram, Viber, WhatsApp, video games, . . . - he's not letting go of his smartphone.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
e's not letting go of his smartphone.
That's a huge factor in today's youth. I've never seen such a STUPID little device sour bright minds.

As for the "kid" ..... he's still breast fed as well. Mama, let's him get away with everything. No amount of my kicking will do a damned bit of good. He is full of arrogance to boot.

@Wilhelm thank you for caring to even reply to this. I'm ok though..... hav'nt quite figured out what I'm going to do.
I could just stop paying the mortgage and watch em all flee like ants in a flood....LOL

Now about that firewood cordage.....train back on rails.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm trying to sell split unseasoned cords for $100 and I've had no action, only have an ad on Facebook so far.
It'll sell like hot cakes in the fall. By that time it'll be seasoned to semi-seasoned depending on the species. At that point you are also under priced.

Hinerman

Mastermind Approved!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's a huge factor in today's youth. I've never seen such a STUPID little device sour bright minds.

As for the "kid" ..... he's still breast fed as well. Mama, let's him get away with everything. No amount of my kicking will do a damned bit of good. He is full of arrogance to boot.

@Wilhelm thank you for caring to even reply to this. I'm ok though..... hav'nt quite figured out what I'm going to do.
I could just stop paying the mortgage and watch em all flee like ants in a flood....LOL

Now about that firewood cordage.....train back on rails.

Mine do help with the firewood, not by choice but that is ok. I have told mine when they graduate HS, they should go to college or trade school. If they do not go to college or trade school, they will get a job or join the military, preferably join the military. If they live with me, they will be charged rent, which will start low and go up every so often (6 months) until it will be cheaper for them to get their own place.

Sagebrush33

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm glad this one is not mine. I'd be ashamed if he was.
He's made a comment to me before, "You're not my father...." I interrupted him with, "You're right, and it's not my responsibility to house or feed you. Besides that, you're an adult. You are your own responsibility.''
Nothin has changed except for the coldness in the air when in the same room ..... passing through.

Chit.......derailed again. Sorry.......

Ontario Firewood Resource

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same problem I have, time. Then when you are splitting the wood, all the stacking, moving, cleaning up is half of the splitting time