High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How hot is normal?

GeorgiaVOL

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:58 PM
User ID
Reaction score
How hot is normal for a saw engine to run and how hot is too hot? I'm going to get an infrared temp gun to add to my tool bag and would like to know some target temps for tuneing saws.

jakethesnake

I Am The Snake
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've seen them get hot enough to smoke Burning the fines off the cooling fins. I never checked with a gun. But I typically let one cool off for a few if I see that. Doubt that was helpful but they run pretty damn hot

GeorgiaVOL

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was asking because seem like mine run a big range. Some run cool, some run hot. Can't tell if it's a tune issue. I try to tune them all the same, barely 4 stroking out of the cut. I just want to make sure I don't burn anything up.

GeorgiaVOL

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
No. Not that I can think of. I know they get hot. I'm thinking the bar may be the problem with one. I did burn up one of my first saws because I didn't heed the warning signs. Fuel was boiling in the tank. I don't think any are getting that hot.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was asking because seem like mine run a big range. Some run cool, some run hot. Can't tell if it's a tune issue. I try to tune them all the same, barely 4 stroking out of the cut. I just want to make sure I don't burn anything up.
If you are into speed cut videos or GTG races "Barely 4 stroking" is OK. Day to day, I would use a fatter tune if you want longer life. No clue on temp. numbers...

Manofstihl661

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think I may start checking mine. Interesting to know

GeorgiaVOL

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I was just asking to determine how hot is hot enough to worry about.