High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

How Do Heated Handles Affect Performance??

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Of the saw I'm referring. Surely it can increase operator output in cold conditions. Energy has to be converted from somewhere. What about the weight it adds? That weight is with you all year BTW. Is reliability affected? What are the factors? What has been your experience with heated handles? And what manufacturer has made the best design through the ages specifically what is the best setup currently manufactured? Have any of you made your own setup???

Last edited:

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Simple design, barely any weight added, shouldn't rob any power of the engine whatsoever - exhaust gas heating:
heated handles.JPG

Although an aggressive muffler mod would most likely negatively affect heating capabilities.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 660W that I put together two years ago. I only use the saw in the late fall through early spring than park it for the warm months as most cutters around me have and bring at least 2 saw everyday. I don't see any decline in performance. The little bit of extra weight doesn't bother me and is hard to notice at all. I would not want to run the saw with heated handles year round for the fact that to replace the heated handlebar is expensive. But on weeks like this past week heated handles make all the difference in the day being bearable or a day that just flat out sucks.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not an expert in this subject by any stretch, but my guess is that the weight difference can't be much more than a half tank of fuel and bar oil?? Anyone ever find the weight of their fully fueled and oiled saw unbearable until it's at a half a tank of each???

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not an expert in this subject by any stretch, but my guess is that the weight difference can't be much more than a half tank of fuel and bar oil?? Anyone ever find the weight of their fully fueled and oiled saw unbearable until it's at a half a tank of each???
0.75+0.42 Liter fuel and oil on my big Dolmar's, I don't feel any difference between full and empty.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Although an aggressive muffler mod would most likely negatively affect heating capabilities.

About all saws are gonna get this. Sounds like that heated handle package on the new MS462 will be moot.

jmester

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 462 will have electric heating elements in the handlebar and rear handle. If it is an arctic model it will have carb heating as well. Stihl uses a generator behind the flywheel as do most modern saws with heated handles.IMG_0360.JPGIMG_0362.JPG

Cut4fun

Redneck Chainsaw Repair
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Do tell, Kevin.

Both sold to collectors now. To nice for me to have around.

Try and not have to cut in the super cold anymore. But got a call for Sat.

Coldest I cut this year was -10F wind chill at 8F. I called it quits as the wind was eating my azz up.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The coldest my hands have ever gotten was running a saw in 20 deg weather a couple times. I was an avid snowmobiler a few years back and never had I ever put my hands in that level of pain from cold as I have a couple times running a saw. I guess the vibration made it more difficult for me to tell when it was time to stop and warm my hands up. That crap HURT!! I don't cut in that weather very often thankfully..otherwise I would have at least one "G" saw...

Ronaldo

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The heated handles make a huge difference. I do most of my cutting in the winter (don't like heat,or bugs,most hunting seasons are over and I seem to have more time). My brother got a 562 w/heat and after using it some.....i was convinced. Found a deal on a Dolmar 5105H and use it for most of my trimming and lighter work. Wish my bigger saws were heated.

Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

GCJenks204

"Special Buns"
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think my answer has to be yes and no. No the generator and elements don't negatively affect the saws performance, more so as I see it scavenging waster energy and redirecting it. They absolutely have an affect on the operators performance. Warm hands allow you to cut longer and better while you are doing it.

Keith, if you do any cutting between November and March you should try them some time.

Brush Ape

Direct Connection
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think my answer has to be yes and no.
hehe good stuff
The plastic will get hot enough to make your hand a bit uncomfortable with out a glove on.
When you try me with a sorry receiver like Crabtree that's the results you gonna get.
The coldest my hands have ever gotten was running a saw in 20 deg weather a couple times.
The coldest my hands ever got was bowhunting and had to drag a buck around 300 yards. I had to open my truck doors with my elbows because my hands wouldn't work.
I take it you can not find mittens in size ape is why need heated handlebars ?
Last couple weeks I've cut between -5 and 15. I must say I never got cold hands. Filing chain though, I was starting to feel it. My left toes were freezing too from being locked in a stationary way too long.

DrewUth

Too weird to live, too rare to die.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So just throwing this out there...the coils used to provide power for the heated handles in the winter could be very easily converted to power to other cool electrical accessories when heat is not needed. Headlight? Ground effects? Colored LEDs? The possibilities are endless! SEM makes ignitions for some European motorsickles.