High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Honda GX240 stopped running.

songoftheriver

New OPE Member
Local time
1:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi, all. New to the forum, and first post. This is possibly related to http://opeforum.com/threads/newbie-looking-for-help-with-honda-gx240-that-wont-run.7996/ , but perhaps not.

Engine is attached to a pressure washer. It has been difficult to start for some time, but last weekend I got it running and used it for about 30 minutes. Then I shut it down (reduced throttle, shut off ignition) to move some things so I could continue washing. It wouldn’t start again.

I tried dribbling fuel into the intake, but it wouldn’t fire. I pulled the plug wire and verified that there was a spark, which seemed to max out at about a quarter inch or a little less in length. I tried various choke settings, etc, but it never seemed to try to fire.

I took the carburetor apart and completely cleaned it, including all the little holes on the main jet. Blew out with compressed air and cleaned with carb cleaner.

Same thing, no firing. Checked valve clearances, and they seem fine. Saw in the thread above that it should be difficult to turn the engine against compression, and it isn’t very difficult at all. I can feel resistance when the compression stroke is coming, but “should be difficult” is a little vague. I don’t have a compression tester, but maybe that’s the next step? My problem is that it was working, and compression doesn’t suddenly lower to the point where it won’t fire again.

Unless...Valve timing? Other thoughts?

Thank you!

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would try a good known working plug. Spark Plugs can do odd things under pressure

If that don’t work, I,d put some (a little) oil in to the spark plug hole, this will help seal the rings some more and hopefully give you a bit more compression to help start.

The other thing I remember being said in another thread was, these engines get fewer oil changes than they should. The bottom line is wear when oil is old. As in another thread, it was said ring end gap should be checked, I forget who posted the answer, but it was the problem.. Iirc it was about a generator. Although it’s really the same engine, just a different CC..

I’m sure someone else will interject soon with more info

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Put a new spark plug in it. Classic failure mode. Runs fine then shut it off and won't start again. Plug is fouled. I think you are over thinking it.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
9:13 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But if it sparks , it would not be the low oil ?, as I thought the oil sensor earthed the coil.

I have heard some peeps scratching there heads for week, when an engine runs for a time and then stops and won’t restart for some time. (I guess the oil gets flicked around, which lowered the oil enough for the oil sensor to thinking its low and shuts the coil off)

There’s two ways to remedy this, fill up the oil or bypass the sensor, I prefer to do both as it can also eliminate a faulty sensor or the connectors. (only bypass for testing/fault finding, you know it’s not a permanent thing. unless you want to burn out the bore and rings at some point later).

Anyhow, how is the op getting on with this..:)