Homelites, all at once

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I was doing what I've sworn I wouldn't do any more & was looking for cool chainsaws on eBay when I came across a pretty good looking 550 for a a semi reasonable price, so I bought it. Out of curiosity I searched for a 650. There it was, a little rougher than the 550, but for a little less money as well.
So I bught it, too.
To ride the trend, I searched for a 750 & low & behold, one even a little worse off yet popped up.
It however was a little pricy. Had it been in better shape, I would've had the Homelite trifecta, all in a few minutes!
Hopefully they're healthy inside. I'm not at all familiar with Homelites with the exception of the 550, several xl12s, & xl1 I picked up a few months ago. Homelite people really seem to have a lot of passion for their red beasts. Hopefully they will be as fun as the yellow beasts which I quite enjoy!
Any common issues to look for when they arrive?
Is there much of a porting scene with them?
They should be here in a few days

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Misspoke, the 650 is of the super variety.
Wonder what's different between the two?

Tim N

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had a 750. It was a good cutter. Faster than a lot of newer saws. Super 650 kinda rare

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So I was doing what I've sworn I wouldn't do any more & was looking for cool chainsaws on eBay when I came across a pretty good looking 550 for a a semi reasonable price, so I bought it. Out of curiosity I searched for a 650. There it was, a little rougher than the 550, but for a little less money as well.
So I bught it, too.
To ride the trend, I searched for a 750 & low & behold, one even a little worse off yet popped up.
It however was a little pricy. Had it been in better shape, I would've had the Homelite trifecta, all in a few minutes!
Hopefully they're healthy inside. I'm not at all familiar with Homelites with the exception of the 550, several xl12s, & xl1 I picked up a few months ago. Homelite people really seem to have a lot of passion for their red beasts. Hopefully they will be as fun as the yellow beasts which I quite enjoy!
Is there much of a porting scene with them?
They should be here in a few days
I'm likely to dig in to the 550 within the year. I might port it.

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm excited about the super 650.
Looks like it's got a 36" roller nose on it.
It also looks like it's one of those where a lot of the age & blemishes are actually just dirt. s-l400 (6).jpg

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Issues to look for would be a rotten intake boot, fuel and pulse lines.

The saw was never popular with loggers as the rear handles were fragile. They are hard to find. The mufflers tended to rot out as well.

Misspoke, the 650 is of the super variety.
Wonder what's different between the two?

I never went all the way through the IPL's for the 650/650E and the Super but there are some differences. The 650/650E saws are much less common than the Supers.

The oiler on the Super is not adjustable and is set for a 43" bar so they slobber oil.

I have a decent Super and they have good power. Wait until you see the carb bore on the WB-2 carb. Big.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's exactly what was wrong with my wife's 550. Her father bought the saw new in 81. It never saw fuel or bar oil. It's truly new old stock. Sadly, the powder coat was corroded loose as it sat in it's case. I put a drop of fuel in it. Never made it to the carb. Once I replaced the rubber, we got some use out of it. But to me, reassembly was a Chinese finger trick and I think I has a tygon line in such a position that it eventually kinked. I won't know till I take it apart again. The recoil setup is lame. Dust gets in and it binds and won't retract. So I need to figure that out too.

NateSaw

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
20230512_190149.jpg20230512_190209.jpg
Here's one I should clean up and send to a good home.. It's so neat... But I'm afraid it's wasted on me.

dik650

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The saw was never popular with loggers as the rear handles were fragile. They are hard to find. The mufflers tended to rot out as well.

I never went all the way through the IPL's for the 650/650E and the Super but there are some differences. The 650/650E saws are much less common than the Supers.

The oiler on the Super is not adjustable and is set for a 43" bar so they slobber oil.

I have a decent Super and they have good power. Wait until you see the carb bore on the WB-2 carb. Big.
I've seen what the W2 is capable of, didn't know ow it was on the S650 until the other day.
It might get stolen & put onto a yellow saw!