High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Homelite WIZ - full restore/rebuild

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I recently picked up a WIZ gear drive from a guy up in Washington. Complete minus the starter cover(common to be missing :( ). Anyhow....piston and cylinder looked ok, but it pulled over fairly tight. Figured the main ball bearing was sticky.
Well yesterday evening was demolishing time. Tore it to pieces and the piston and cylinder wall are in good enough shape to do with a re-ring. Will be replacing the pto side bearing.
I'm starting this thread a wee bit late into the restore as I have a bad habit of starting a project and getting into it without documenting. haha BUT I'm getting better! SO...without further ado....here's where things are.
Filthy work bench from last night lol
006.JPG
Soaking all hardware in acetone. Carb is currently soaking in parts cleaner.
007.JPG
Piston in decent shape. No scoring so with a good cleaning should work nicely.
008.JPG
And the cylinder wall is in nice shape as well. Going to ball hone and call it good to go.

009.JPG

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
9:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
TJ, what are you using for paint? I have a super wiz 66 and a zip that I wanted to restore but could not find a paint match.

Can't wait to see this together! Your homelite builds always turn out very nice!

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
TJ, what are you using for paint? I have a super wiz 66 and a zip that I wanted to restore but could not find a paint match.

Can't wait to see this together! Your homelite builds always turn out very nice!
I'm using duplicolor perfect match blue. It's not an exact, but pretty darn close when used with the proper color primer and a good clear. Here's a link to the sight I got the info from: https://www.leonschainsawpartsandrepair.com/homelite-chainsaw-restoration.html
Thanks! I'm excited as well. Longest part will be waiting on decals from sugar creek.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
More pictures from yesterday evening's progress. Oil caps are silver and the fuel cap lettering will be outlined in silver. Gears and clutch were cleaned out with brake cleaner and are ready to re-use. Clutch springs were in great shape. Funny thing is they look exactly like the husqvarna clutch spring. Wasn't sure what color the starter cup was if it was even a color so I went with black as the flywheel is silver. 001.JPG 002.JPG

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ain't been feeling to good lately and the long work days haven't helped so not much to update as of now, but I have gotten the main frame and pulley housing painted up. Also got parts and decals on order so hopefully in the next couple of weeks this will be back together. Just need a bar and chain after that. 007.JPG 008.JPG 009.JPG

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Alrighty....now that my nose isn't plugged solid I'm back at it. Beginnings of ordered parts have shown up so my motorvation has come back.
Blasted and 1st coat of primer on the fuel tank.001.JPG Letting some zep off eat away at the pesky case gasket
002.JPG So I picked up a sonic tank and a gallon of super degreaser from harbor freight and I have to say I'm quite pleased. After two cycles the piston came out WAY better and so did the carb. Ate most of the carbon off the top of the piston which I later scrapped off.
003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You soaked your crank in degreaser? I hope it was oil based... If not hope it was flushed out with diesel/or mix tgen reoiled heavily. Is that saw a split rod? Are you changing the mains?

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You soaked your crank in degreaser? I hope it was oil based... If not hope it was flushed out with diesel/or mix tgen reoiled heavily. Is that saw a split rod? Are you changing the mains?

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yup the degreaser is oil based. Main needle bearing is fine but the ball bearing will be swapped yes. 10-4 on split rod.

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Got the last larger part of the build painted this evening. 001.JPG Rebuilt the carb and put the nos piston rings on.
002.JPG
Cylinder honed out quite nicely. Still have to get that pesky head gasket off and do some cleaning. May end up blasting the fins to get the gunk off as the heat tank didn't get it all and it still ain't to perrty.
003.JPG Parts pile to clean is getting smaller. Just have to blast and paint the fuel port and that takes care of painting.
004.JPG

TJ the Chainsaw Mechanic

Old Homelites rule!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well tonight I started putting the saw back together. Tapped the crank back in with a new bearing from the local supply. Put the clutch assy and gear back on. Cleaned all the mounting studs and nuts and this is where she sits. More tomorrow evening after work. Limited at this point as the other crank seal is taking its precious time to get to my mail box. Didn't get many pictures as I was pressed for time and wanted to get a little jump start on getting this back together. 001.JPG 002.JPG