Homelite super ez automatic ignition help

NorthcentralYooper

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm working on Homelite super ez auto.

I got some spark but it appears weak on plug and tester.
The plug is wet , I cleaned the contacts on the coil. Will get a new plug but I'm thinking it's a points issue with timing. I can clean the plug and put it in and won't even fire once.

I made a homemade flywheel puller and bent that trying to pull flywheel to look at the points. I remade one with heavier steel and I'll try later today .

Has anyone found electronic coils to bypass the points .? I did that on a 012 or 15 stihl.

Any suggestions ?

Warped5

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does your saw have the blue Prestolite coil? Those are known to go bad.

FWIW a Nova II module can be used to bypass the points. The number is 31-8786 and is available from a variety of sources, including NAPA.

5000+

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it is a point ignition, homelite used 2 different manufacturers on that model. Flywheel and everthing is different between the 2. Could be dirty points, bad condenser, or coil. I have had a few of them with bad coils that ran erratically, no start, start and run fine for a few seconds then erratic. Like Warped said, there was also a electronic coil that were known to fail. I recommend if you have a points model try to determine what is wrong and replace what it needs. The parts are out there and usually very little goes wrong.

NorthcentralYooper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok thanks for replys, it has the black coil. The guy told me he couldn't get it to idLE and it idled high, fist thing I thought was a air leak but it wouldn't start for me . I'm going to try my homemade puller later today so hopefully I can determine the root cause soon

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok thanks for replys, it has the black coil. The guy told me he couldn't get it to idLE and it idled high, fist thing I thought was a air leak but it wouldn't start for me . I'm going to try my homemade puller later today so hopefully I can determine the root cause soon
Loosen the nut, small pry bar gently holding pressure up on flywheel, smack the end of the crank with a BRASS hammer. It'll pop right off.

NorthcentralYooper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Loosen the nut, small pry bar gently holding pressure up on flywheel, smack the end of the crank with a BRASS hammer. It'll pop right off.

Thanks , I used my homemade puller. I tried the pry bar method the other day but used a hard mallet ... didn't feel comfortable using anything harder

NorthcentralYooper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just to update , I got the flywheel off yesterday and checked the points and lo and behold the points gap was around .006" I found the spec online for points air gap at .015"
I cleaned the points with electrical contact cleaner reset points put it a back together and got it running. The guy he had look at it before had the idle screw turned in alot so I could almost started cutting wood with it. It was late so I fine tuned the carb and it idles great.
Thanks for advice guys I'm glad no parts were involved .