Homelite Super E-Z Automatic

amcbigtree

New OPE Member
Local time
11:26 AM
User ID
Reaction score
UT No 10403A

This saw was left by the previous owner when I bought my house. Looks super clean, but doesn’t have the firing parts inside the box. Obviously I’m not sure what the parts are called on these old saws. No spark plug wire, no wire to the switch, nothing beside the flywheel. The screws are still there that attached it to the saw though.

Id love to get this thing running, but I have no idea where to start. The rope pulls and the compression seems good.

Any ideas where to start?

PA Dan

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:26 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'd post pictures and I'm sure some knowledgeable people will be by to tell you what's needed.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some of these saws had an ignition coil that was a little troublesome. You will need to check an IPL (individual parts listing) to determine what all you need to replace.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t know. There was nothing in there when I opened it up.
Oh ok, Leons chainsaw parts or homelite parts . Leon is sort of the guru of Homelites . Google him and his parts store should come up and an email for him.
If you come up empty handed there's other possibilities.
Also ask for an ipl and service manual on the" beg for manuals thread ".

amcbigtree

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Oh ok, Leons chainsaw parts or homelite parts . Leon is sort of the guru of Homelites . Google him and his parts store should come up and an email for him.
If you come up empty handed there's other possibilities.
Also ask for an ipl and service manual on the" beg for manuals thread ".

Thanks for the reply. What are the other possibilities you mentioned?

I already contacted Leon. He directed me to an eBay search query, so I assumed he didn’t have anything on this one. I’ve been through the ipl and haven’t been able to locate any parts yet.

I was hoping there might be something better than the old, original parts...

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the reply. What are the other possibilities you mentioned?

I already contacted Leon. He directed me to an eBay search query, so I assumed he didn’t have anything on this one. I’ve been through the ipl and haven’t been able to locate any parts yet.

I was hoping there might be something better than the old, original parts...

Honestly there's very little in the way of aftermarket parts that would be better than NOS parts , used parts aren't necessarily better but are better than non-existent parts.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thank you.

Have a look at the flywheel to see what name is on it. I don't see any wire coming out behind the flywheel which would likely make it an electronic module.

OR it may mean the entire ignition system has been removed.

The WICO flywheel was used for points and solid state ignition and the Phelon flywheel was points only.

If it was mine, I would be inclined to get a points coil and an ignition chip. Buying an expensive, failure prone Prestolite coil is a gamble.

amcbigtree

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
82E862C7-C3FD-4695-A231-91D9E22E522C.jpeg

Thanks for the info. Where would it have a name on it? I only have access to this photo at the moment. I’ll take a closer look when I get home.

The points, coil, and ignition chip are some parts from the ipl listed above?

I appreciate all of the info and advice from everyone. I’m new to all of this....and it shows

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can brush of the greasy spooge (new word?) on the flywheel it should be there somewhere.

The chip is an aftermarket part. Maybe someone can chime in and tell us what people are using these days.

The points coils should be there in the IPL. They will have the points box, points set and a condenser in the illustration. If your flywheel is a Wico, make sure you get a Wico coil.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The ignition chip type you want to get will look like the one in the video (silver one).

They are available from a lot of places.

One note, if you do go this route, try to mount it as far a way from excessive heat as you can. It doesn't need to be really close to the coil.
Here's vid of one going into a snow thrower.

amcbigtree

New OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have a look at the flywheel to see what name is on it. I don't see any wire coming out behind the flywheel which would likely make it an electronic module.

OR it may mean the entire ignition system has been removed.

The WICO flywheel was used for points and solid state ignition and the Phelon flywheel was points only.

If it was mine, I would be inclined to get a points coil and an ignition chip. Buying an expensive, failure prone Prestolite coil is a gamble.

I don’t see WICO or Phelon on the flywheel. Only “Prestolite”. No other names on the top. How do you get the wheel off? Or do I even need to?2F15E2A8-F1D3-46FD-995E-278ADCB23D25.jpeg