mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some one gave me a crusty Homelite 360. Cleaned all the mouse stuff out of it oiled the recoil starter poured some gas in it and it fired RIGHT up. Rebuild carb pulled cord started right up. Now it gone to&^@%^. When I can get it to start it pulsates. Put the gas to it and it starts to die. When I pull the gas line off the carb gas comes out under pressure out of the line. I have tried to clean vent on cap but it did not help. Can anyone help me figure this one out so I can get it back running.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
not going to turn down free parts. Just let me know how you want to handle it.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
3:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 360s had a strange intake boot setup. If you've got your parts saw by now, trying going through all the intake parts. They're prone to rot and leak.
As far as the gas cap goes, there's a cork looking plug in it. use a pick to pry it out. There's typically a black tar build up from the tank lining that seals the vent off... Clean that up and hopefully you eliminate your pressurization of fuel tank. compressed air through the vent ports to make sure they're clear.
good luck.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If I remember right, I had a couple different homelite fuel caps where I could blow compressed air through them without prying out the cork but they still caused problems. That tar crap I speak of would be just enough to cause a vacuum or pressure, depending on ambient conditions.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got another 360 that I got running this summer but got a strange issue with it. Sometimes when I try to start it it will pull easy and start. Then a lot of the time it is very hard to pull and it won't start then it will pull easy and start. Is there a decompression valve on this thing that I don't know about. The saw runs GREAT when it starts. Thanks again.

sledneck22

But, is the chain sharp?
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No decomp on any of the saws I had. I will say though the recoil parts on this are kind of wonky which include spacers and sleeves. I never did think it had good leverage on the starter pawls. I wonder if the piston isn't stopping on the "up" stroke and you're starting with compression already made (I hope that makes sense). Next time it's hard to pull, just pull "lightly" through the compression stroke so you can get on the back side of the stroke and see if that helps. If that doesn't help, you could have a very rich mix sitting in the cylinder causing a slight hydrolock of gas/oil.

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok thank you for the info . I will check out both. I know about that compression stuff. I got a old BSA 500 that is bored out to a 600. This is the bike they talk about braking you leg. I am scared of it and it is a MF to crank

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does anyone know where I can get crank seal for both sides for the Homelite 360? Is there a cross over # for them . I think the pull start side seal # is 12282-A and the clutch side is 70729 .It is a double lip seal I think

JohnnyBlade

JUST GONNA SEND IT
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sledneck is right. I had one and didnt look to be bad at all. Upon pulling till i didnt want to:D
I started disassembly. The intake boot was dust, literally! Thats a long way for the fuel to go with nothing guiding it:risas3:

mowertech37

Active OPE Member
Local time
4:49 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Does anyone know where I can get crank seal for both sides for the Homelite 360? Is there a cross over # for them . I think the pull start side seal # is 12282-A and the clutch side is 70729 .It is a double lip seal I think
do u still need them ?

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not at this time. But I got a 360 in pieces that I will need some for.

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not at this time. But I got a 360 in pieces that I will need some for.

Both 12282 and 70729 cross to SKF CR6119.

If I recall, at one point they called for two 12282 seals back to back on the starter side for some reason while they developed another seal which was 70729.

SKF CR6119 is a double lip seal and is for applications that have,

Shaft diameter 0.625" (5/8")
Case pocket dia 0.875" (7/8")
Width 0.188" (3/16")

WLzM1A

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some one gave me a crusty Homelite 360. Cleaned all the mouse stuff out of it oiled the recoil starter poured some gas in it and it fired RIGHT up. Rebuild carb pulled cord started right up. Now it gone to&^@%^. When I can get it to start it pulsates. Put the gas to it and it starts to die. When I pull the gas line off the carb gas comes out under pressure out of the line. I have tried to clean vent on cap but it did not help. Can anyone help me figure this one out so I can get it back running.
Not to hijack the post, but I just acquired the same saw.....without a spark plug. Can ya give me the plug number plez:wave1:

fossil

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not to hijack the post, but I just acquired the same saw.....without a spark plug. Can ya give me the plug number plez:wave1:

For the 360 the Champion plug is DJ6J also listed as a champion 851 plug. Gap is .025"