HF Predator 420cc carb jetting

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
4:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the Harbor Freight Predator 420cc pressure washer (4400psi, 4.2gpm). The carburetor on it is HUAYI. I bought this unit in summer of 2022.

I believe the black plastic jet (pilot?) is a #43, stamped on it from what I can see.

The main jet looks to be an 86,.

Internetting I see a #104 and #107 jet kit on amazon/ebay that is touted for this 320/390/420 size honda engines and clones and similar as being good.

Are there jet kits available for this carb? How about an adjustable main jet? Is there a way to enlarge the pilot low speed orifice (that seems really tiny, anyone know that diameter?) ?

Running machine in 50°F weather I need 1/4 choke for engine to run without surging at high speed. Low speed the engine will stall if you trigger the wand- either engaging the pump or when the pump disengages. I can never start the engine, even hot in 80°F, without using full choke.

What about micro drill bits and enlarging the main jet myself? Any possibility of doing this on the pilot jet?

Last edited:

redline4

I'm huge in Japan
Local time
3:30 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You should be able to drill the jet yourself with a pin vice and micro drills.
As far as adding an adjustable high side needle, these guys may be able to answer or help in that area.
https://www.eccarburetors.com/

I used a bunch of their stuff back in the day.