High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

HEY EXPERTS!!???

JBW1

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Just wondering, why is it common practice to start your saw with the engine brake engaged? If it’s not good to rev your saw with it on, why run it at 1/2 choke (screaming) with the brake on? I start my saws with brake off, and chain away from anything that I don’t wannna cut. Am I wrong?

JBW1

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Don’t point at anything you don’t intend to shoot

drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
8:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just for safety, especially with drop starting.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its a safety thing...starting a 90cc saw on fast idle without the chain brake on isn't for the faint hearted. When hot starting using the brake is not near as bad for the saw. I rarely start a saw with the brake on unless I'm above ground.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not really an 'expert' but have used a saw or two. Its really a safety thing...starting a 90cc saw on fast idle without the chain brake on isn't for the faint hearted the saw becomes very ALIVE fast. When hot starting using the brake is not near as bad for the saw. I rarely start a saw with the brake on unless I'm above ground. But a homeowner with his new ms170 should probably start the saw with the brake on so long as he immediately hits the throttle to return it to idle speed. Those who let the saw warm up on fast idle with the chain brake on are usually the type who think the smoke coming from the clutch cover area is assembly oil burning off. Many new plastic saws have been friction cooked upon first use when instruction manual is taken too literally.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll take a little clutch/needle bearing wear over starting a saw on high idle with the brake off. Safety is my primary consideration when running saws. Also, with a little practice and muscle memory, you can get that throttle blipped very quickly, especially when you have a saw that you know will fire on the second pull at high idle.