Husqvarna CCC Ebay Store Shop HL Supply Shop Performance Muffler Covers

Help me troubleshoot this splitter

Discussion in 'Log Spliters' started by Al Smith, Sep 20, 2022.

1. Al Smith

Al Smith Here For The Long Haul!

Local Time:
    4:35 PM
    I'm a little befuddled with this one .Belongs to the tree service that dropped the cotton wood .Danged thing won't built pressure and I suspect the control; valve .Somebody had the pressure set real low .I took it apart .looked okay and cranked it down to max ,no split .It won't even pull off detent on return .I saw the return line flex so I assume the pump is okay but I don't have a pressure gauge nor a tee fitting to install it .
    I thought I had it once but I didn't .The machine looks brand new .At any rate I ordered a new valve through Surplus Center Hydraulics .Not bad $59 bucks ,Dirty Hand DSCN1226[1].JPG brand same as the OEM .It's either the valve or the pump .The cylinder is not bypassing .

2. Nutball

Nutball Here For The Long Haul!

Local Time:
    3:35 PM
    Have you taken apart the pump to inspect it? Does the splitter have a filter? Maybe some dirt ruined the pump.

I wonder if you could bypass the valve somehow so it is always trying to move the cylinder one way, then you could see if it loads the engine more than it has been, or if it will split wood.

3. stihl livin

stihl livin Do the Dallas

Local Time:
    Dumb question but did you check the fluid level?

JimBear likes this.
  4. blades

blades Super OPE Member

Local Time:
    here we go . with the motor off inspect lovejoy coupler pull motor over while watching love joy to see if it is driving pump, if not need new love joy. Next disconnect hose from pump to valve, pull motor over keeping hose pointed into a bucket or such . if fluid is ejected pump likely good at this stage. if no fluid then either pump or suction line has a problem. reconnect hose. now disconnect hose at rear of cylinder point hose into bucket pull motor over with valve set too extend ram if fluld ejects that portion of valve ok. if not then a problem there. reconnect hose. if these steps good then there is possibility of the internal ram seal bad. if these steps show nothing bad then you will need to get a pressure gauge and a T fitting to insert a various pints the circuit to take readings to isolate problem. If the valve you purchased dosen't fix then it is what I all ready covered. this is all based on the correct amount of fluid in the system. if it was run low and air got in to the lines it takes a fair amount of cycling to work it out. some units have a screen at the tank suction line junction. that could be plugged, also there is a remote posibilty that the suction line could be collasping . best wishes on resolving things. Chris

Wonkydonkey and huskihl like this.