stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cold weather is coming and I am one of the guys that gets a call when portable sawmills don't start. It's a *b-word when you have to take engine covers off or repair wiring that mice had their way with and you can't feel your fingers. I'd like to hear about some decent heated gloves. I see hundreds of gloves, but I don't trust their reviews. Anyone have any opinions?

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What about just doing the hand warmer packets as those are cheap and you can still wear gloves that function

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fingertips are my main concern. Even though the rest of my hand is warm, the fingers still lose feeling from cold.

timg

Supporter of Cat Eating Komatsu Machinery
GoldMember
Local time
5:16 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would try what stihl livin has suggested. That's the only way I can get through the winter anymore. I just use brown jersey red flannel lined gloves. Safety toe pac boots also a must. Must be an age thing LOL!!

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Fingertips are my main concern. Even though the rest of my hand is warm, the fingers still lose feeling from cold.

I heard having the heat pack across your wrist where the blood flows is better then just in the hand. Never tried it myself but maybe might be worth a try.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would try what stihl livin has suggested. That's the only way I can get through the winter anymore. I just use brown jersey red flannel lined gloves. Safety toe pac boots also a must. Must be an age thing LOL!!

i tried the muck boots that are supposed to be rated to like 45 below and my feet actually got cold in them. Had to go and put my 800 gram hunting boots on and then I was fine. Returned the muck boots and will stick with what I know works.

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I heard having the heat pack across your wrist where the blood flows is better then just in the hand. Never tried it myself but maybe might be worth a try.
Ok Stihl living, Here is your chance at an early retirement. Zippered elasticized sleeves with pouches that would hold the heat packs. My work wear has elasticized sleeves and it does help hold the heat. Only if they were slotted for heat packs they would be so much better. Maybe Carhartt is listening LOL!!

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i tried the muck boots that are supposed to be rated to like 45 below and my feet actually got cold in them. Had to go and put my 800 gram hunting boots on and then I was fine. Returned the muck boots and will stick with what I know works.
I've got the actual foam felt type pack boots with safety toe. I love them. Warmest work slippers I ever had. Unfortunately the US manufacturers are slim to none and these boots are getting hard to find.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got the actual foam felt type pack boots with safety toe. I love them. Warmest work slippers I ever had. Unfortunately the US manufacturers are slim to none and these boots are getting hard to find.

with the new shop I work for I rarely have to work in the cold. I just did a new home for the first time in over a year and it’s a sip house. Walls are 8” thick foam and roof was 12” foam. Every morning it was at least 50 degrees inside even if in the teens outside. Homeowner would run a propane turbo heater for a while then you’d be sweating good. Haven’t needed warm clothes in over a year at this shop. Kind of nice as doing nothing but new houses for the last two years before going to this shop I would dread winter.

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear ya. Glad you are working good and staying warm. That would be quite the house with all that insulation. Had to be a fortune in lumber needed to contain all the insulation. And here I thought you just rode around in a van all day with a worn out seat!!

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
https://www.sips.org/about/what-are-sips

The steel beams were crazy too. Half the house had only one wall that went to the ceiling which made it fun. The roof actually went opposite of what you normally would see so it got a rubber roof. I never did take pictures like I was going to but I’ll be back there in a couple months setting fixtures

timg

GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow, Now I have a little of an understanding. Didn't know what sips was about. I'll be looking forward to those pics. One more last question then I'll leave you alone. So plumbing and wiring are internally exposed similar to a log home?

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My problem is that I froze my fingers so many times, they go numb fairly quick in the cold. Some of my friends told me of a brand that has worked well for them. They are the highest rated on Amazon. I ordered a pair to try, not only for blowing snow, but for walking in the woods when it's way below zero. Those walks are neat. The only sounds you hear are the trees cracking.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The one exterior wall that got plumbing had a 2x4 wall built in front of it. The kitchen sink got island vented so it all comes up through the floor. I could not drill and water lines through the panels so ask the lawn faucets got drilled through the block foundation and they will have to dig holes to get decent access. This was the first house like this is ever done. For the water lines I had roughly 800’ of pex. I had roughly 7-800 feet of pvc for the drain waste and vent. They did wall hung toilets with in wall tank systems. They wanted no basement plumbing but he kept changing things and moving things so I had to do an ejection basket for a floor drain for the water heater and furnace condensates. The septic left the house about chest high from the floor

stihl livin

Do the Dallas
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My problem is that I froze my fingers so many times, they go numb fairly quick in the cold. Some of my friends told me of a brand that has worked well for them. They are the highest rated on Amazon. I ordered a pair to try, not only for blowing snow, but for walking in the woods when it's way below zero. Those walks are neat. The only sounds you hear are the trees cracking.
Thanks for all the suggestions.

can you share a link?

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Cold weather is coming and I am one of the guys that gets a call when portable sawmills don't start. It's a *b-word when you have to take engine covers off or repair wiring that mice had their way with and you can't feel your fingers. I'd like to hear about some decent heated gloves. I see hundreds of gloves, but I don't trust their reviews. Anyone have any opinions?
Maybe you'd be better off with a nice set of mitts, rather than gloves. Fingers together are warmer than apart.

stretch5881

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Can't figure out how to do a copy and paste the link without it going to just Amazon.
I guess I'm as dumb as a box of rocks.