High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Has anyone used the Shindaiwa 490

G

Greenerpastures

Has anyone used the Shinwaiwa 490 saw, any information would be appreciated.
I did some research before buying and found no negatives, so am just wondering
if there is any weak areas that need watching.
Still pondering whether to use a 18 or 20 inch bar on it.
Shindaiwa-490-Ireland.jpg

Thanks & Regards, john

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
2:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Bump for the new guy somebody's got or had one of these

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm no expert, but a little research seems to suggest that the 490 is just an updated 488.

If it's anything like a 488, you're looking at a great saw. Mine has been the absolute most reliable saw I've owned, and it lived part of its life as a rental saw, so it wasn't babied. The 488s in the US (some of them anyway) had a very stuffed up muffler and a non-adjustable H jet in the carb. I know that there are adjustable carbs available online, but seeing as you're overseas, you may not have that issue to begin with.

For the project you mentioned in your other post, I think this saw would be a great candidate. Personally, I'd also consider the Dolmar 421 and 5105. Both of them have a really nice easy start feature, which I really like for clearing brush and thinning. It's nice to have on a saw that will be on and off 30 times a day. My Dolmar 421 has a switch that automatically returns to ON and it fires up on half a pull when warm. I grab it before my 488 for thinning.

If you think you'll have good dealer support for the Shindaiwa, and can get a good price, it's likely to be a nice little saw.

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The 490 is indeed an updated 488. They are nice saws, and have a fully adjustable carburetor, although you need the special wrench.

The 490 will come alive with a muffler mod and proper tune. Base gasket delete = even better.

G

Greenerpastures

16" bar if you are falling and bucking...20" if limbing.
Thanks Four Paws, I am not that tall so I had a dry run with the saw and and the 20" was too long for comfort,
I had my arms pulled up all the time which was tiring and less controlling, so I changed it out for an 18".
I posted http://opeforum.com/threads/help-choosing-bar-and-chain.5988/ in relation to a new 15" or 16" bar and chain for the trees I need to climb to trim, I want to use an Oregon or a Carlton bar, and am considering what chain to use, on top of my list is the Oregon ConrtolCut
.325 .58 chain, with the Oregon VersaCut bar, but am still not completely sure what tail fits up with my saw, so far I conclude it will be the 041 tail.
The Husqvarna H25 and a Stihl RM bar are also in consideration.

Thanks, john

G

Greenerpastures

The 490 is indeed an updated 488. They are nice saws, and have a fully adjustable carburetor, although you need the special wrench.

The 490 will come alive with a muffler mod and proper tune. Base gasket delete = even better.
I am not sure my carb is adjustable, I did not take off the cover to look, but the cover has two solid plugs
on two tunnels on the side adjacent to the unplugged hole that adjusts the idle.
There is also no mention of adjusting the high or low in the user manual, though it does show adjusting the idle.

Are you talking about a tool for the carb on the 488 or the 490 like in my picture above.
When you mention base gasket, is this the gasket between the carb and the engine or the
exhaust manifold and the engine, or the gasket / shims between the cylinder and the block.

Thanks & Regards, john

Four Paws

Chrome won't get you home
Local time
12:00 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Are you talking about a tool for the carb on the 488 or the 490 like in my picture above.

When you mention base gasket, is this the gasket between the carb and the engine or the
exhaust manifold and the engine, or the gasket / shims between the cylinder and the block.

Thanks & Regards, john

Yes, you need a special tool to adjust your 490 carburetor.

The base gasket is between the cylinder and case.

G

Greenerpastures

Yes, you need a special tool to adjust your 490 carburetor.

The base gasket is between the cylinder and case.
Thanks Four Paws

So one can simply take out the base gasket, for example lift the barrel up a half inch without
removing piston or shaft, snip it with tin snips around the bolt holes, cut it in two and remove it,
or would you recommend taking off the cylinder leaving the piston behind.
Will this not mis align the exhaust and pull it down towards the casing, if so is there room for it to
move down, the carb will also be slightly lower but the plastic tail the filter on could be filed but will
probably never need to be as the angle of change will be so little.

I note your comment on a special tool, I had a Jonsered 2153 and the manual outlined the H and L
could be adjusted a half turn, because of a cam on stoppers on the end of the screws, which you can
only get at with a special tool because of their shape and the obstructive housing around them to prevent
altering them more than the half turn. Will take it back when I have it well broke in and let the dealer
tune it up, will see then if the protective housing around the screws can be done away with completely
as the actual screws don't need the housing for any other reason than tamper proofing.

Thanks & Regards, john

G

Greenerpastures

Hi sawfun

I really like the Johnsered 2153, sold it thinking I would give up cutting, big mistake.
I don't mean to be negative but the modern stuff seems to be going in one direction,
the cheaper they can produce it the better for the shareholders, and the sooner we
have to replace it.
My old Stihl is 35 years old and still running, it cut like a daemon in all conditions.

Regards, john

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:00 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm not fond of the newer Husky's or Stihl's either. I like "3"series Husky's and "0" series Stihl's. I have a 346 but like my 026 just as,well. And the pro saws from the,70's and 80's are some of the best made ever. Being able to bore and install oversize pistons in the Mac's seems like an advanced thing rather than antiquated. Throwing a plated cylinder away is a huge waste to me.

Alderman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just found this forum so hope I'm not stepping on any toes.
I picked up a used 490 a few years back and just had it out for a run a couple of weeks ago. Indeed I can't find it runs any different than the 488 collection I have.
The one area that gave me trouble was the on/off choke switch. Seems to be a poor design and made out of plastic. Mine quit working but got it back together with some super glue and no issues since. The symptom was it wouldn't shut off.
This appears to have a fully adjustable carb and I just assumed it could be done with a small screw driver.
Now I will have to take a look as I have never adjusted the carb on this one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Alderman

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My 490 is fully adjustable and has slotted screws for adjustment. I don't know if this is stock as I bought it used.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk