Happy Thanksgiving!

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
8:45 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thinking of much to be thankful for today. I rode out to get a little gas in the truck. On the way I passed a homeless guy. I really tried to help him a few years ago -- get a job, and all that he needed to live a normal type of life. He eventually disappeared again for a while. Later I saw him and he told me that "this was the only way he knew how to live" (i.e. living in a tent in the woods, visiting soup kitchens, working various jobs here and there.). His mom was a friend, a great lady, and has long since passed. Very thankful to have a roof over my head, and family coming today to celebrate all the goodness God has poured into our lives. I'm looking down on him -- I'd help him in a minute today if I knew I could help him see lasting change in his life.

Another thing I thought of was a guy I passed on the way back. He's a drug dealer guy. I used to be an addict. He was hooking up a deal at a certain place. Pretty obvious to a guy like me. I thought of day gone by when I could not live without that fix or that high. I am very thankful to be sober and that my family doesn't have to deal with the fears and scars of all that addiction brings this time of year. Addictions don't take the day off on Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays. My sister in law overdosed right after we left my mother in laws house after Christmas a few years ago. She shot up and went into cardiac arrest -- the EMT's gave her a narcan treatment. So, there is quite a bit to be thankful for. Hope you and yours have a great Thanksgiving celebration.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Happy Thanksgiving Everyone! The meal went great with the exception of the turkey that I partially *frenched up:(

View attachment 269100 View attachment 269101 View attachment 269103 View attachment 269105 View attachment 269106

Fine looking spread. Just to relieve your mind. I've been cooking since I was a kid. My mom was a firm believer that all her kids should be able to cook for themselves before they left home.
If I was to choose the #1 thing I'd rather not cook it would be a turkey. Today we had brisket, ribs, (mother in law brought a turkey) and all the trimmings. Honestly my family would rather
have the BBQ. Don't beat yourself up over the turkey. From what I "have tasted" not many can cook a turkey and get it right. Happy Thanksgiving.

mark_kershner

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
990845de91bd678af22a6fd92452885b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bilge Rat

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Had a great day with mom, aunt, uncle 2 cousins and their spouses.
After a homecooked meal 3 generations of family went out to the back of the peanut field and shot pistols and 22 rifles.
My 83yr old mom can still shoot a .38 revolver.
My 22yr old cousin has opened herself a bakery so i have been taste testing cheezecake, various cupcakes and pecan pie.

Hope everyone is doing well today.